smittymindy
Newly Registered

Tomatoes in Alaska

I live in the Matsu valley Alaska. Do tomatoes grow here and if so do they need darkness to rest as we have 22 hours of daylight.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Tomatoes are a warm weather plant. They need a lot of sun while they are growing. There are short-season varieties on the market, one of which is named 'Alaskan Fancy' and needs about 55 days to produce ripe fruit.

If you have the space and can afford the equipment for lighting and temperature/humidity control, it's possible that you could grow tomatoes indoors. I have never done that, myself, as I do not have the space for them, nor can I afford the proper florescent lights. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Take a look at Sunset's Western Garden Book. Wasilla, and the entire Matanuska Valley, are in Sunset's climate zone A2. There are three Sunset climate zones in Alaska.

Sunset shows a photo of two 90-pound (yes!) cabbages still growing in the field near Anchorage. Sunset will also help you determine varieties which can succeed in your climate zone.

Maybe your local library has a copy, or perhaps a garden-supply store?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

2cents
Green Thumb

Largest Cabbage grown anywhere in the world, right there outside Palmer.

I heard it was too cold this year to grow much in Alaska.

My sister is in the Susitna-Matanuska outside Wasilla.
Says last year many of the farmers didn't plant because it was too cold......something like the sixth time in 150 years. and it was supposed to be the second time for 2 years in a row there wouldn't be adequate warmth for the veggies.

I really don't know, I don't live there. But you might have better luck next year.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I lived north of Chicago the cool weather was excellent for the garden. That was one of the best gardens I ever grew. That was 40 years ago winters were colder then. The extremely good soil needed no fertilizer.

I have 4 sheets of glass from some sliding patio doors. When the weather starts turning cold here in Tennessee I put the 4 sheets of glass around one of my tomatoe plants. First frost kills all of my garden in October but the tomato plant in the glass box will produce tomatoes until the first very hard freeze. I usually have garden tomatoes until the 1st week of January.

You might be able to do the same thing in Alaska.

2cents
Green Thumb

smittymindy wrote:I live in the Matsu valley Alaska. Do tomatoes grow here and if so do they need darkness to rest as we have 22 hours of daylight.
The daylight is it 22 hours of sunlight?

I had to ask, since your comment leads me to think I am in the dark. :P

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”