grant
Newly Registered

outside or inside?

hi there
I'm brand new to growing, I was given so tom plants that are about 6 iiches grown already and I was wandering where I was best to keep them. I have a place to hang them or a little green house to put them in, not really sure what I'm doing,

also when is best to water as I was tols they need a lot of watering. how much is this and how often?

tomato feed aswell, how often?

be a great hel to put me at ease as this is so new to me and I really want this to work!

thanks

g :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It would be useful to know the kind of tomato plant as some are more suitable to pot culture than others.

I would assume that your weather is settled and it is reasonably warm with night time lows staying above 50 degrees and day time highs getting into the 70's or higher. Tomato plants are heat lovers and prefer day time temperatures in the eighties and they like full sun. If your conditions are favorable then I would plant the seedlings outside, either in the ground or in three to five gallon containers depending upon the size and needs of the variety. Be sure to keep the supply of moisture relatively constant but without water logging the soil. Tomatoes will also benefit from an initial dose of fertilizer mixed in the planting hole or potting mixture. Also if the soil is neutral to acid, a hand full of peletized lime may help provide for the plant's calcium needs.

grant
Newly Registered

thanks for the swift reply at the moment they are in a hanging basket which was hung outside, but I bought a little green house about 4ft high as I was given some other herbs. I though it right get one to aide the growth. ive put it on the east facing wall, my garden is only 3 metre by 12 metres at most with, do u think morning or afternoon sun is prefarable? like I say I'm really green to this! excuse the pun :D

g

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Here in S.C. the afternoon sun is pretty oppressive. Even full sun loving plants benefit from late afternoon shade. As I understand it, the climate in UK is generally very moderate and on the cool side, but also have head of harsh heat waves over the past couple of years. Anyway, if your afternoons tend to get really hot, especially if light is reflecting from walls toward your planting area, I would go with the eastern exposure.

A small vairety of tomatoe like 'tom thumb' will do fine in a hanging basket. Most varieties will need more soil and can't be watered sufficiently for hanging basket culture. Once again, your particular variety of tomato is important to know, in order to make the proper planting decision.

grant
Newly Registered

I have found out that I have cherry toms and also to take them out of the green house as our climate will sustain them, so they are on a south facing wall in a hanging basket. am I on the right track do u think?

little question on green houses, do they need to have the doors open at all for a time? there seems to be a lot of condensation aswell, is that too much watering? because the soil aint getting any dryer from when I last watered it?
am I jumping the gun here as a newbie!

cheers grant =NO idea

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

WRT the greenhouse, depends upon the conditions. On bright sunny days, mine will get up over 100 degrees without adequate ventilation. Just watch the moisture of you soil in the greenhouse, let the suface get a little dry before watering. Any greenhouse will have lots of condensation when the outside temperature drops.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I would find a full sun spot in the yard. Dig a hole the size of a 10" flower pot. Put a hand full of 15/15/15 fertilizer in the hole, put in a hand full of Ammonium Nitrate and an hand full of Lime. Fill the hole with water and wait for the water to go completely down. Put some dirt in the hole then strip the leaves from the bottom 1/2 of the tomato plant and plant it so only the top 1/2 of the plant sticks out of the soil. Water it very well and your finished for the day. Give it a drink of water every day for about 2 weeks then it will do fine on its own. When the roots grow down into that fertilizer the plant will take off growing extremely fast it should be about 4 ft tall in 4 weeks and 6 ft tall in 6 weeks. The plant will produce lots of nice red ripe excellent tomatoes.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”