Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Best time for foliar feed?

Good morning all!

What is the best time of the day for foliar feeding, morning or evening? I have three days with no rain in the forecast yeah!!!

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

I generally folliar feed in the morning while the foliage is still wet with dew and before the sun hits the leaves. I avoid wetting the foliage in the evening so as not to invite fungal issues unless I'm using compost tea.

I can totally relate to your excitement. :wink:

Greenbeans
Newly Registered

Not sure of the temperature range, but the Stomata(hope I spelled it right) begin to close somewhere around 80 degrees I think.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Thanks for your replies, appreciated indeed!

Since I have 3 containers "earthtainer" style, the only way I can easily add nutrients are through foliar feeding. Found this article rather informative, if you care to read:

[url=https://www.unitedstatesag.org/foliar_feeding.html]Foliar Feeding[/url]
...Foliar feeding with the correct nutrients can be the most efficient method of feeding a plant since 95% of a fertilizer
solution can be found in the smallest root within 60 minutes if conditions are right!...
And:
...If foliar feeding is effective, you should be able to see visual results in approximately 48 hours. If you have a
refractometer for measuring the sugar content (brix) of crop juices, then you may be able to detect the difference in 1 to 4
hours. If material did not penetrate and simply end up on the ground, then the reactions may take as long as two weeks...
Since I have organic water soluble fertilizer that is well suited for foliar feed, I'm excited to try it! :shock:

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”