zstokes85

First tomatoes pose a problem...

So my 1st tomatoes to show up about 3 weeks ago finally start to get big enough to pick. So I pick the largest(still green), flip it over and.... Holes... I already read the sticky at the top of the forum, and did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer. Unfortunetly, in my rage to find the culprit I cut up all the tomatoes I found with these holes before I took any pics. They were all still neon green, and the holes looked like someone drilled small (1/4") holes in the bottom. They were about as deep as they were wide. They hadn't started to ripen yet, which I thought was a trait of blossom end rot. That's the only conclusion I've come to. Any help would be appreciated. Also, would this doom all my tomatoes from here on out? TIA

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Check this page of images. I think you'll find your culprit! :lol:

https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/veg/commercial/tomatoes.html

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Actually it sounds like slug/snail damage, which I did not see on the linked page. Slug damage to a green fruit will generally callus over and heal, so you do not have to destroy the fuit. If it were fruit borror worms you would probably find the worm on or near the fruit.

zstokes85

I was just asking some guys at work if they'd ever had slug problems. Nobody ever had, so I thought it wasn't even an issue in this area. Unfortunetly, I took all of my more mature tomatoes(they all had the exact same thing) and destroyed them thinking they were destined to fail with the holes. Although there are still 30± on the vine, it still kinda sucks. I've never even seen a slug around here!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”