pepper4
Green Thumb

How to Rescue Tomato Plants w/ Drooping Branches?

My neighbor had 3 big boy tomatoe plants in containers. 2 of them look pretty bad now. Yellow, drooping branches and the veins in leaves look purple. They do have blossoms and the main stalk looks good. The roots also look good. Dispite that She bought some other plants to replace them and was going to throw them out. I told her to give them to me and I would try and nurse them to health. I also have my mators in pots and they look great. Good drainage, water regularly when it doesn't rain. When it does rain, I mist leaves with water milk mixture, and I give them fish emulsion watering once a week. She was pretty much doing the same thing but the results are so different. Any suggestions where to begin with them. I wish I could send pics. but don't have the means to. Any opinions or advice would help.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

pepper4

How is the rescue going? I'm no expert so didn't want to advise. This year is my first time growing tomatoes in containers and the plants seem to be doing fine.

For your situation, my only suggestion would be to repot if the plants are not too big yet. Pics would be helpful though.

Well, good luck with whatever you decided to do. Let us know. 8)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

assuming that they got the fish emulsion treatment, and thus enough nitrogen, it sounds like possible magnesieum deficiency (or over watering). Try Epsoms salts 1 Tbs/gallon of water and see what happens in a week. I would also put them in a semi shaded spot for that time (not full sun all day)

pepper4
Green Thumb

Thanks to both of you. I went out today and they don't look much better but they don't look worse either. Good news though, I did find 2 small tomatos growing on 1 of the plants. My question TZ is should I still try the Epsom salt now that there's fruit? I mean, will it hurt anything? Thanks?

pharmerphil

WE ADD EPSOM SALTS TO THE PLANTS...oops, sorry caplocks on :roll: :roll:
every two weeks at the rate of one tbs. per plant height.
No harm, lots of tomatoes...
Are the plants doing better, what type of soil/potting mix are they in?

pepper4
Green Thumb

I took them up to the nursary to see what they thought. The women suggested organic lime. I also purchased some larger recycled pots from them and some miracle gro potting soil. Transplanted this morning. Since I'v seen those little tomatos I am hopeful they'll make it. My neighbor couldn't believe it. I will keep you posted.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Magnesium is needed in lower amounts than any other major nutrient (N,P,K,Ca,) but epsoms salt (magnesium sulate) is unusual in that you can dose the plant with relatively massive amounts without harm to the plant. The cells also store it in their vacuoles so one or two aplications a season is generally sufficient if you have problems.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Update! 9 days later those 2 tomato plants I tried to rescue that my neighbor gave up on look great! Nice and green and standing tall. 1 has 6 mators so far and more flowers and the other 3 with alot of flowers. I repotted the plants when I got them added some lime, misted periodically with water milk mix, watered regularly. Not sure what did the trick but they look great. Neighbor couldn't believe it. Made me feel good being a beginner :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Way to go!!! :D :D :D

Congratulations, and I hope you harvest a bumper crop!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”