NothingRotten215
Newly Registered

Why are Tomato Leaves Turning Brown?

[img]https://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss164/NothingRotten215/101_1805.jpg[/img]

see the brown discoloration on the leaves? what's wrong here? none of the other tomatoes in my son's yard have it. we had some real strong hail recently, is it possible the strain of toms isn't tollerant to that type of weather.

NothingRotten215
Newly Registered

BUMP

mccolgan1

seems simler to somthing I had one mine. I had gray patches that shrivled and went crispy. what I found it was my leaves were geting wet and the sun was baking them and frying them. sun scorch. make sure the leaves arnt wet in bright direct sun. dry them if u can or cover them with some shading.

splat42069

Could be to much Fertiliers?

NothingRotten215
Newly Registered

huh the forum mods must have changed the name of my thread. not used to that. it's kewl though, it's a more accurate title. :).

well I could see the sun scorch, or over fer as a plausability; but there are three toms in this same tub/bed** and this one is the only one alficted. there is an ACE, a Superfantastic (the aflicted), and an hierloom black.

**my son used two old 50 gallon storage tubs and cut one end off each, then attched and sturdied them to eachother with pieces of 8 foot 1x2 wood. then he cut the bottom out, and prepared the soil in an area the same size as the whole at the bottom of the tubs (now one tub) about 8.5x2. then he filled the buckets with kellogs patio plus and a touch of steer manure and eartworm castings. I'll get a picture next time I go over to his place, and I'll post it.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Too much nitrogen will cause the leaves to curl up. Continue to over fertilize and the leaves can turn brown and die.

If you know the SIGNs the plants will tell you what they need.

Ole Dummy

Is this what it looks like?

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/leaf/alter_cank.html

NothingRotten215
Newly Registered

Ole Dummy wrote:Is this what it looks like?

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/leaf/alter_cank.html
YES!!! that is exactly what it looks like! is a fungicide the answer then?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

For a fungicide, you can use a mixture of milk and water. I've seen the dilution rate given as 1 part milk to 8 parts water, and 1 part milk to 10 parts water. Spray it on. :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”