vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Black Spots on Tomatoe Leaves w/Pics

This is my first time with a container garden of veggies and it's just tomatoes. Some Sweet 100's, a couple of Romas and an Early Girl. What is causing these spots on the tomatoe leaves of the Sweet 100's? Appreciate a diagnosis and cure... :wink:

Also, is there anything I can be applying to the tomatoe plants for a pest and disease preventative? Also, I spotted those little black bugs with clear wings are on all the tom plant leaves; just a few here and there. Can't really see them in the pic though.. :roll: Anything to be concerned about? Thanks a bunch! :lol:

[img]https://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/vintagejuls/Tomatoes%202009/DSCN0188_152.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/vintagejuls/Tomatoes%202009/DSCN0186_150.jpg[/img]

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

:( I was hoping to have heard from someone...

I did a search for black spots on tomato leaves but didn't find anything. Did I miss something?

My thought on the cause is overwatering so I cut back; especially now since they are established basically. They were planted in a wood planter with a mix of 75% potting soil and 25% compost (both store bought).

If anyone would like to add their thoughts on what the problem might be or anything I should be doing, would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

That kind of spotting generally isn't too serious. I generally just trim off the affected leaves. Wouldn't hurt to spray the plant with some of H.G.'s 1:9 ratio of milk solution as a preventive measure however.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Thanks for responding Alex. Good to hear it's nothing too serious.

OK, so you think it's more of a fungal cause rather than a water effect or nutrient deficiency...? Yes, I was planning on trying the 1:9 milk solution as a preventative.

Thanks again. 8)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure what it is, but have seen similar spots on my plants, and it never seemed to turn into any kind of full blown problem as would be the case with most of the blights that tomatoes get. I generally associate the issue with too much rain, but obviously not in Southern California unless you are constantly wetting the foilage when you water the plant.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

I've been very careful to water just the soil. And, from my reads here on HG, to minimize splash to the leaves. Did some trimming of the bottom leaves... Our weather has been heavy morning marine layer but no real rain. There was some sprinkles and a very light shower 1 day this week but nothing major.

Some of the leaves with the black spot have turned yellow; just noticed this evening. Would this then indicate a nutrient deficiency or time to feed?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've also experience little spots on my tomato leaves, but also didn't think it was serious. I just removed the leaves.

Not sure about the yellowing; I almost always lose the lowest-remaining leaves due to yellowing and haven't ever worried about it. Maybe I should? The potting soil + compost combo sounds good for in-ground or raised-bed planting; could be a little on the heavy side/slow draining if the tomatoes are in a container.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Thanks Alex and Cynthia. Appreciate it. :D

Ole Dummy

Look like this ?

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/leaf/bac_spec.html

myron26155

I agree with Rick, it looks like bacterial speck which is usually caused by leaves staying wet overnight and high humidity.

I've read that it can spread to the other leaves and be detremental to the plant as a whole but in my experience it's usually only on a few leaves and most of those are close to or touching the ground.

I would remove the damaged leaves to be safe.

applestar
Mod

Sometimes, bits of info are buried in the ol' noggin and doesn't emerge right away. :roll:

I wanted to mention that when I was sprinkling coffee grounds directly around the plants, any coffee left on the leaves caused dark spots. I learned use thoroughly dried grounds, apply when leaves were dry, and brush/wash off any that got caught on the leaves -- especially hairy ones like tomatoes. Don't know if you've been side dressing with coffee grounds, vintagejuls, but I thought I'd bring it up, just in case. :wink:

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Thanks Applestar. No I haven't been dressing with coffee grounds but maybe I should. I save up the grounds for my roses but do have plenty to spare...

Here in SoCal we had quite a few weeks with heavy marine layer. I live in a coastal city so it wasn't burning off until after 4pm. :shock: I think that was causing so much moisture on the leaves. Plus, I was probably watering too much to get them established. :roll: However, I did trim the lower branches, cut back on watering and we have been getting more sun so all is good. I have a few specks but not too worried because I'm getting some little green gems. :D

Can't wait to taste those home grown maters! :o

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The milk trick works better on fungus than bacteria, but colonizing the leaf with a benign colony still helps prevent pathogenic colonization, so the milk should help some... (Lactobacillus creates acid conditions that most other bacteria dislike...)

Have had a touch of this spotting myself this spring, but foliage feeding with the fish hydrolysate seems to be most beneficial in bringing them back from early infections...

HG

applestar
Mod

OK, HG. I'll bite. You've mentioned fish hydrolysate so many times that your breaking down my resolution to not buy any more bottled stuff. :roll: :lol:
So, did you post at one time where you get this stuff? Best source recommendation please? :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

In April, HG gave us two links in this thread:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7092

I've been wondering that myself, too...may have to buy something after all... grrr. :wink:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The one I use the most is [url=https://www.neptunesharvest.com/]Neptunes Harvest[/url]; the blend is good (mixed with kelp), but I buy them seperate and tailor it to suit (shrubs trees and vines like more kelp, less fish, and vice versa for flowers, grasses, and veggies)... they cold process, retaining far more nutrient and maintaining stability far better than hot processed fish (the majority of stuff out there is heat processed; easier and mcuh of it out there is dogfish processed for the cartilage and the rest is "Waste"...

I use the Mega Green on the lawn where spreading around that much fish might make the neighborhood unhappy...

I have yet to have a cat issue and mine pay it almost no attention. This is one place where more is not better... :shock:

The crabshell is a great addition to compost; it stimulates chitin eating bacteria, a bane for hard shelled insects...
HG

applestar
Mod

Thanks Cynthia, Thanks HG,
I'll go look into it. :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”