davedigs
Newly Registered

Beginner Basics

Hi All,
I'm just starting out and have built a box that is 2.5' deep. What I need to know is what the minimum/maximum depth is for compost/soil/humus, etc. and if I should or can do a lower layer of rocks for drainage. I work with computers daily but I'm happy to say that growing veggies is a delightful new subject about which I'm completely ignorant. Please write slowly and use small words, I'm not as smart as I look. :? :?:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener!

Please be sure to read the two "stickies" (they always "stick" to the top of the topic index) at https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=15 on how to grow tomatoes.

We also have TONS of threads (discussions) about growing tomatoes, whether in the ground or in containers. Please use the Search at the top left-hand corner of each page; I guarantee you will find dozens upon dozens of threads and (potential) hours upon hours of after-dark reading.

Because, of course, during your available daylight hours, you'll be working outdoors! :wink:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If your raised beds are sitting on the ground, then no you don't want to put rocks or gravel in the bottom, you want the earthworms and whatever that's in the soil to be able to migrate into your box. I have a couple raised beds that I built on top of my concrete patio and I do have rocks and gravel in the bottom of those. Just fill your box with good loose enriched topsoil and have fun! Being as deep as it is, it could be just plain topsoil at the bottom and focus on getting the enrichments in the top half (compost, well composted manure, bonemeal, maybe some peat or coconut fiber, maybe a little perlite or vermiculite to keep it light and loose, etc, etc).

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”