housenut
Newly Registered

did I plant my roma tomatoe plant the wrong way?

I noticed the other day that the stems that the bloom grows on is half gone where the blooms were. I looked at the stake thing that has planting instructions on it and it said to bury the plant 80% into the ground, I planted mine so it was planted like a regular plant, to groung level. Is this why the blooms are gone. The plant looks great other than that, nice and bushy, nice and green, doesn't seem to be having any other problems. Is the way I planted it why I'm having this problem?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's usually recommended to bury a lot of the stem when you transplant a tomato, because it will root all along the buried stem. That helps it develop a good strong root system, to thrive and be more productive. However, not doing it shouldn't kill or damage the plant.

I'm not quite sure what this means "the stems that the bloom grows on is half gone". If you mean the blossoms are falling off without setting fruit (called blossom drop), that's usually a sign of some stress in the plant. If you take good care of it and if temps stay in a reasonable range, it should out grow that. If you really mean a branch came off (or even worse part of the main stem is gone) that would be more serious, unless something broke it off (person? animal?). But if the plant is doing well otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much until/ unless you see some other sign of damage or stress.

If you clarify more what this looks like or post a picture, we can help more.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”