Capricorn

white cocoon like stuctures on tomato plant

Last year I bought some tomato seeds from England . I think they are the mediterranian type of tomatoes ( though I am not sure).I Live in Pakistan which has a very hot climate
I planted those tomatoes at the end of winter just like the packaging said. the plants have grown but there are still no tomatoes
lately I have begun to notice small white cocoon like structures on the plant stem. .

the leaves also are starting to bend inwards and the whole plant seems to be loosing its grip in the soil and is begining to tilt sideways. I am trying to grow them organically with out using any chemicals but I am worried about the while cocoon like things. if any one can suggest a organic remedy , I would be obliged. if not I am wiilling to use chemicals to save my plants.

p.s :- I have pictures but I don't know how to upload them here
[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Pictures would be needed to ID these, I think. Here are instructions for how to post images on the forum:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

The Ancient

In regards to the tipping. Did you bury a large amount of the plant? Tomatoes get top heavy. support them and they should be okay.

In regards to the white "things". Sounds like spiders to me. I find a ton of cacoon like "things" on my tomatoes. I also have a ton of spiders on my tomatoes. If it's spiders it's nothing to worry about.

Capricorn

Thank you for telling me how to add photos
here are the pictures I was talking about

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39013361@N04/3587365531/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39013361@N04/3588178900/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39013361@N04/3587370117/

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Have you tried wiping them off the plant? What is the consistency of the things? They could be spider egg cases/sacs, as The Ancient suggested. Those are made of spider silk, so they'll be webby looking when you try to wipe them off. If that's what they are, they won't harm your plants. I kind of doubt that's what they are, because I think spiders choose more secluded spots to place their eggs. Those, whatever they are, are right out in the open.

You still could try to remove them manually, though. I'm very curious to hear what you find. :)

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Those look like mealy bugs on steriods. :shock:

Maybe climate and soil conditions grow them bigger there! :roll:

Rubbing alcohol and q-tips? Dip the q-tip in rubbing alcohol and dab the bugs. The bugs should turn brown and die. You can then wipe them off gently. Good luck.

Keep us posted. I am curious to find out more.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what they are, but the way your tomato plants leaves are curling suggests that they are not good and you do want to get rid of them.

Capricorn

I will try removing them and see what happens . I will also add some sort of support to keep the plant growing straight.
I will let you know what happens

The Ancient

Well, sometimes you just have to check on your plants everyday. I'd just wipe them off everyday. Doesn't look like spider silk to me.

Capricorn

Well I scraped them off the plant . they were more powdery than webby. and I think there were eggs inside them. A guy who comes in parttime to help with the gardening said they will come back unless I spray the plants with some good insecticide. I have not done that yet though.
I have also suppoted the plants to keep them straight.
Lets see what happens now

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We can try lesser measures to deter the return of these insects...

We like neem oil very much; are you able to get any? An excellent control for soft bodied insects like this and harmless to mammals, birds and fish. I believe the tree is native to India so it should be available in your area. If you are not able to locate neem oil, insecticidal soap is another safe organic method. I like to rotate my treatment as much as possible when I have multiple methods available...

HG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”