splat42069

Little flies eating my leaves....

I was out in the garden with a LED light lastnight and found these little fly like bugs eating the leaves. Im guessing they only come out at night since I havent seen them before during the day.

Anybody have any insight on these things?[/img]

splat42069

PICS

[img]https://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/splat42069/100_2138.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/splat42069/100_2139.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Picture detail isn't good enough to tel much, but I bet they are flea beetles, which tend to jump off when you approach during the day. They usually attack younger plants and leave leaves looking like a shotgun hit them. Plants usually suffer through a few holes without any problem but if they get really bad you can spray with whatever you prefer (insecticidal soap, permethrin, etc) one time which usually halts them long enough for the plant to outgrow the threat. Planting radishes next to the tomato planting spots a couple of weeks before you set new tomatoes out helps because the beetles like the radishes better than other vegetables.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

radishes

Thanks TZ, great idea about the radishes. Finally gave me a reason to grow radishes! I've always thought I should because everyone says they are so quick and easy to grow. The only trouble is I don't like to eat radishes, so why grow them. Now I know! (Not that I've ever had trouble with flea beetles, but best to be prepared :) )

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Don't think many people dream all winter of eating that first fresh garden grown radish. I plant the mixed variety seed to make life more interesting and don't get too offended when some of them are stunted by my cloddy clay soil.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”