sydandpaigesdad
Newly Registered

new tomato grower

Hi all, year 2 of growing tomatos and I am having a ball learning. A couple of questions for you guys that maybe will help me. Last year I just let my plants go on the ground, not very good results, this year I have staked them and my first question is where is the proper place to tie the plant to the stake, would I tie a square knot from the stake to a branch of the plant and tie another square knot to that branch/?

Next question, how exactly will I know when the plants need tied?

Third, I am very confused about pruning the plants I have tried to wrap my mind around it but I think I'm making it more difficult than it is so if anyone has a simple instruction as to how and even why to prune Id appreciate it.

I know this is a lot but I heard this was a great way to learn is by getting on the forums so thanks in advance.

Earl K
Green Thumb

Hello and welcome to the forum.I'm also new to growing anything but have a lot going on right now.I stake the plant from the stalk to the stake.It is important to put your stakes in early or at transplant so you don't damage the roots.I use bread ties,small velcro but a light twine is probably better.When to stake relates to already having them in place early,probably around a foot or so then keep supporting as they grow.Thats the best I have and you will get more info from others.Good luck

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you just have one stake per plant, then yes you want to tie the main stem to it. You are less likely to damage the stalk if you use something soft to tie it with, like old nylons, elastic hair bands, strips from old bandanas, etc. Using twist ties or whatever as the stem grows it cuts it. Any wound like that can be a place for disease to enter.

You mentioned pruning. Tomatoes don't really need any pruning. It helps once it's getting bigger, to take off the bottom branches so there are no leaves touching the ground (to help keep soil borne diseases off). Once your plant is getting like 5-6 feet tall, you can pinch out the growing tips to encourage it to focus more on producing tomatoes not just getting bigger. Some people (including me) pinch out the suckers that sprout in the junctions between the stem and branches, again to help focus it on growing tomatoes not just greenery. But some people don't and apparently still get plenty of tomatoes...

Rob
Cool Member

Sydandpaigesdad (great user name btw):

I use cages, sometimes along with a stake, and the stretchy tape you can get at nurseries to tie up rouge vines and limbs. It's kind of a patchwork thing for me, but the end product looks pretty good: more of a bush look than a plant that's drooping into the dirt. Limbs in the dirt seems to equal disease in my experience.

Which is also the reason I trim up the bottom branches.

I prune them at the very base of the individual bottom branches, very tight up against the main "trunk".

Other than that I personally don't do any additional pruning at all, and usually get darned good results.

OH. I'll prune off diseased looking branches. Don't know if it's a good practice or not. If it's look shriveled and dried and ugly I prune it off.

Maybe I'm a bit "retentive?"

Also, I don't seem to have the knack for "pinching" at all. I use hand clippers and snip branches of that way. Again, at the base of a the branch, flush against the main trunk.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

A large indeterminant tomato gets messy when staked if you do not prune. 3-4 stems is the max I will tie to a stake, the rest get pruned off. Alot of pruners will go with less stems. Stakes are generally close together and pruning keeps the plant volume in line with theavailable root volume. Some web sites suggest making a somewhat loose figure 8 with one turn around the stake, and another around the stem. This alows for some growth and movement so the twine doesn't cut into the stem from movement and growth. Tieing the plant off every foot or so works pretty well preventing the stem from buckling under its own weight. Tie off when the growth is in danger of falling over from its weight, and tie off just under the flower/fruit truss to hold up the weight. Common sense will show you any modifications to this basic pattern that may be needed. for instance You may have to go back later in the season and put a couple of wraps low down around the entire plant fairly tightly to keep it from slumping.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”