zstokes85

After tomatoes bloom, do flowers die before fruiting?

I can't seem to find an exact answer though... After the tomatoes bloom, does the flower die/ shrivel up before the tomato comes through? Or am I still unsuccessful with my 3 1/2 ft tall better boys? If that's the case, I'm guessing the high humidity the sudden cold temps(low 50's) have foiled my plans. TIA!!!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Yes the blossom shrivels and drops, but there should be an obvious fruit at that time. If you blossoms are not getting pollinated and are dropping then you can try tapping the plants or you can buy a product called blossom set, that supposedly helps set fruit. Or you can just wait, they will begin to cooperate as soon as the weather improves.

zstokes85

Thanks Alex. Yall having similar weather your way? Is it hindering your fruit set in any way? I have been tapping them everyday, maybe I'm just not patient enough! TA

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Look for some of the previous posts about this. The blossoms will drop off without setting fruit when the plant is stressed. Night time temps below 55 degrees can do that, as well as a number of other kinds of stress ( too hot, too cold, too much nitrogen, too little nitrogen, etc... when you read the list it's a wonder they ever set fruit!)

zstokes85

Well I got impatient and pulled the dead flower out of its socket(?) and lo and behold... A little green globe sits a-waiting! I now have 5(all the flowers that were at this stage) tomatoes! So in a couple of weeks, I'll have(hopefully) tomatoes, squash, and peppers. Awesome first try, gotta love beginners luck!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Z,

We have not had nearly low temperatures that you upstate folks have had. My brother lives in the Greenville area, and only in the past week or two was able to plant his garden. My tomatoes are acting a little peculiar and do not have nearly the fruit set and amount of blossoms as usual. Don't know if it is the weather or some other factore though.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”