Haesuse

growing tip obstructed by flower cluster. what to do?

I've been trying, to no avail, to get a pic of this that's worth seeing. I can't get it to focus properly.

anyway, it's fairly simple. my patio variety tomato, has 2 of its 3 main growing tips utterly obstructed by a thick chunk of flowers and fruit. I am having no luck whatsoever in trying to wiggle stuff around until it is free to grow. in one little spot there is a cluster with around 10 flowers/tomatoes, and 2 growing tips, and the main stalk.

I've never seen anything like this and have no clue what to do. sit back and relax? prune the 2 growing tips in question?

the problem is that it is a patio tomato, very small, compact and determinate growing pattern. it is already a little runt of a plant, and it just doesn't seem to want to send out suckers like I would have expected such a compact variety to have done. finally, I get 2 strong suckers/growing tips, but they grow directly into no-man's-land...

ideas?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure what to tell you. I've had knotted up tips before and accidentally snapped them off trying to untangle them. Even if it doen't work out well, just letting the plant do its own thing will at least give you something unusual/interesting to watch.

Haesuse

TZ -OH6 wrote:I'm not sure what to tell you. I've had knotted up tips before and accidentally snapped them off trying to untangle them. Even if it doen't work out well, just letting the plant do its own thing will at least give you something unusual/interesting to watch.
that's what I decided. I'll try to get some pics. it is absolutely NUTS in there. the plant is already so stocky as to be mind blowing. it is only 18" high, but twice as thick as either of my 30" plants. and the cluster that is blocking the new growth is HUGE with tons of fruit. and the 2 growing tips look wild.

we shall see!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”