Budlite1944
Newly Registered

watering

How do you determine how much water to give your tomatoes ? I was told to water every other day . Also to give them a inch a week . What is a inch a week ?

Haesuse

tomatoes root very deeply. you basically want to water them to the depth of their roots, and then NOT water them again, until the soil is dryISH. not bone dry, but dry enough to where you can't form clumps with it.

watering tomatoes only to a depth of 1 inch is not going to be enough...

pepper4
Green Thumb

All my tomatoes are in big pots. I usually stick my finger down into the dirt because the surface may appear dry but lower is still moist. I don't think you can rely on every other day. It will depend on the weather. I have read where some have watered alittle twice in a day if it's extremely hot. Always make sure your tomatoes are well watered but not standing in water :wink:

2cents
Green Thumb

An inch a week is just like the weatherman reports. Water one inch deep.
They usually use a rain guage to determine how much it rained.
One inch deep in a container(container size doesn't matter).
This is not measured by depth of moisture in dirt(its the depth in an empty container).

An inch a week is best suited to plants in ground and not necessarily raised bed, because raised bed often require more water as do potted tomatoes. Potted will need 2-3 inches a week depending on dirt composition and plant size, and pot size and holes sizes, heat, etc....

Most of us learn this by feel or by observing our plants. I check most mornings and every afternoon. If the leaves begin to look limp, I give them a shot of water. I am likely giving them 1/4 to 3/4 inch of water per application. If I expect it to rain in a couple, I will give it less(1/4 inch).
If there is no rain expected, they get more water with each application.

Hope this helps

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

To answer one specific aspect: "1 inch a week" refers to the amount of water the plants would receive if it rained 1 inch a week. It doesn't refer to the depth of ground that is watered.

I haven't translated "1 inch a week" into gallons per plant or other measures, but it does refer to rainfall.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”