JackieW
Newly Registered

tomato plants shriveling up

Hope someone can help here. I'm trying the topsy turvy for the first time. Planted two different plants in different planters on Saturday and it's now Wednesday and the leaves have shriveled up on both plants. One I a Celebrity and one is an Early Girl. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

pharmerphil

Hi Jackie, what type of soil/potting medium did you use?

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

Are they shriveling up or just curling up..
sometimes plants do this.

Happy Gardening

elevenplants

I trust you are monitoring the moisture levels? These hanging planters seem to take more water. I have two that have been in their containers for quite some time, and I have to water them every day without fail, no matter the weather.

Rebecca

JackieW
Newly Registered

Thank you for responding. The soil I used was Scott's potting soil. I watered quite a bit upon first planting and the soil stayed VERY wet for days. The plants are finally looking like they may be coming out of this. We had torrential rain on Friday. The leaves themselves looked wilted and shriveled up. Very disheartening on my first try with these but maybe all is not lost yet. I appreciate any more help and thanks to those who have replied.

Haesuse

scott's potting soil is going to be a not-very-good choice for tomatoes, topsy turvy tomatoes, especially. unless you meant you got potting MIX. potting soil is going to be too dense and compact. and with the plants being on the bottom of the pot, I imagine the compacting of the dirt, and how wet it stays, will be even more of a problem...

JackieW
Newly Registered

Unfortunately, I think this is just Scott's potting soil and not mix. I don't know if I should try to repot with a Mix or just hope for the best and learn from this. Maybe I'll try to repot them next weekend.

Thank you for your tip and another lesson learned. If anyone has any suggestions, I really appreciate all the help.

Haesuse

JackieW wrote:Unfortunately, I think this is just Scott's potting soil and not mix. I don't know if I should try to repot with a Mix or just hope for the best and learn from this. Maybe I'll try to repot them next weekend.

Thank you for your tip and another lesson learned. If anyone has any suggestions, I really appreciate all the help.

if I were in the same situation, I'd probably rip those plants out and start new ones, with a lighter mix for soil. but, I'm in zone 7b, and have a pretty long growing season. if yours is much shorter, this may not be much of an option, as you could end up with some beautiful plants, and no ripe fruit... but if you have a long enough season, I'd say go get some stuff to lighten your potting mix, and buy a few large starters from a nursery or home garden center, and restart.

add a bunch of sphagnum peat moss, and maybe some perlite or vermiculite, to the soil you have. others on here might have better suggestions as to exact mixes.

:)

good luck

pharmerphil

I must agree with Haesuse

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”