Haesuse

Anyone have experience with "Hilling"?

Hilling is raising the level of the dirt around the base of the stem, creating a "hill" in the dirt. This, I read, raises surface area of the dirt, thereby increasing the rate at which moisture will wick out of the soil and evaporate into the air.

is this something worth trying? my plants have been basically waterlogged for weeks, with a couple more weeks of probable wet weather coming. could I gain a little advantage by doing this? or is it asking for trouble?

pepper4
Green Thumb

I decided to mound my bush beans based on the info I got. Had I not they may have washed away with some of the rains we've gotten. I was told if your soil is heavy it's a good idea to hill or mound plus the mounded soil warms quicker and drains better. It has worked good for me. I did mine from the start so I don't know how it would work for you now that they have rooted into the ground. Personally I would mound again in the future. By the way what is it you've planted? Hope I was of some help :wink:

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

Raised row planting is the term equal to hilling,
I till my garden with my tractor with the spades and make rows 12 inches tall
3 foot wide. They drain excess moisture, but also to remember mulch to keep the moisture in.

[img]https://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/atascosa_tx/Jdeere.jpg[/img]

Happy gardening

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”