johnmurphy33161
Newly Registered

Whats wrong with my tomato plants?

What is going on with my tomato plants...its like it happened overnight...is it a deficency? A disease? How do I insert the pic? The leaves are turning kind of silvery...the pic it looks more yellow, but is really a silver grey?[img]https://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/johnmurphy33161/Item0000001001.jpg[/img][img]https://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/johnmurphy33161/Item0000001002.jpg[/img]
Last edited by johnmurphy33161 on Sun May 10, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Instructions for posting photos are at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

johnmurphy33161
Newly Registered

Ya...I found it...setting up on photobucket now...

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Common theme this spring. Looks like too much sun on very tender sheltered leaves.

johnmurphy33161
Newly Registered

Well, that makes sense...I started them back in feb and our last really cold day was just a little while ago...they are now up to all day outside and I just planted it today permanently outside...will they survive do you suppose?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The fresh new growth will be sturdy and do well. If mine get a good bit of sun damage when first placed outside, I eventually trim off the damaged lower leaves, after the top growth gets fuller.

johnmurphy33161
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for your help, Alex...chance of frost is over and they are outside tonight for the second night. I would hate to lose them. I started them back in Feb. and have nursed the heck out of them...maybe too much...but last year I did not get a tomato one because I started too late. They say it isn't that hard...but I don't think thats right...

pharmerphil

what is your soil temperature?

johnmurphy33161
Newly Registered

Well, I guess I can't really say what the soil temperature was recently...basically, they were in (black) pots until yesterday. One gallon size...the plants are about 2+ ft tall. I was doing real good at the acclimating thing, but then we had a cold windy spell that lasted a couple of days, so I had to keep them inside again. When the weather changed back again, I could only put them out for short spells as they would wilt quick in the sun...then within the last 3 days I had them outside pretty much all day and 2 nights outside. Daytime temp was about 70 and nighttime about 40. This time of year is not too bad, but in summer here in Yakima, plants that require "full sun"...well, they soon find out the definition of full sun and usually don't do very well. I suspect now that while the weather feels nice, to a plant the sun is still intense for a young plant.

pharmerphil

fluctuating temps will cause these problems, most likely once you get them in the ground they will be fine,
Plants In pots, are not only subjected to the 40° temps, the pot/roots/soil is surrounded by 40° air...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”