kirstenh
Newly Registered

Help distinguishing between young plants - baby removed tags

My Botanical Interests (organic seed company) Ace and Sugar Sweetie tomato seedlings have no tags. The Ace is medium-sized determinate tomato. The Sugar Sweetie is indeterminate cherry tomato. I have photos of the seedlings - some already in ground, some still in containers. I did e-mail back and forth with the seed company and they tried to help but said the plants still too small too distinguish between. I am new to this forum and don't see way to upload photos, so I suppose if someone thinks they can help I would need to e-mail them the photographs. Thanks! Kirsten

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Please see our webmaster's tips on posting photos at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Good luck with the tomato plant ID!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Cherry tomatoes sometimes have more evenly sized, petite and rounded (not as sharp toothed) leaflets (reminds me of kitten paws in a way). Hard to explain, but most full sized tomatoes seem to have more variable and wild looking leaf parts.

kirstenh
Newly Registered

For some reason I couldn't post the IMG but this is link to album on Photobucket with the two types of tomatoes that I am trying to distinguish. Album comprises seven images of each type.

https://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/kirsten_hepburn_photography/

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd measure internodes (space on stem between branching); it has been my experience that determinates have a shorter internode...

HG

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Your type 2a and type 2b pictures look like common cherry tomato leaf morphology (the other type 2 pictures show some variability that makes it hard to be confident just from the picture. None of the type 1 pics looked like 2a and 2b from what I could tell. I would compare the others to these (2a, 2b) as they grow. I google image searched for your two varieties and found a picture of your sweety cherry that shows wide rounded leaflets, the ace has pretty standard, toothy leaves.

kirstenh
Newly Registered

Thank you all for the advice. I have pooled it together and am going outside now to make a determination! I will report back in a few weeks once I am certain. Kirsten

Jan Davis

No baby to blame in my house - when my 24 seedlings were 3-4 weeks old I shuffled them around without so much as a single thought to which of the 4 varieties I was relocating where! I studied plants in the nursery - looked at a gazillion pics online without gaining a sure fire id on any of them. All but 4 are producing blossoms now - I'm assuming the 4 without are the Beefsteaks as they grow longer and bigger before blooming. There are also 4 with clusters of several blossoms close together - the Cherry variety maybe? Tomatoes are a junk shoot for me and family/friends this year - I think I have one cherry and 1 beefsteak, hoping the rest of what stayed with me are Romas!

Blonde AND senior is deadly!

Happy growing all...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”