Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Transplanting time after trimming lower branches?

Hello everyone!

I can't find the original post where many of you recommend clipping the bottom branches off, than transplanting deep for better root system establishment on tomato plants...

How soon after lower branches are clipped can the plant be transplanted into the soil? Hoping to avoid any chances for disease to creep into the plant through the "fresh wound".

Regards,
D

Haesuse

rub a little bleach water on the fresh wound before you plant it, and you should be fine. 1 part bleach, 10 parts water.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

"Am I supposed to bury my new tomato plant?" was the recent thread on developing strong-rooted tomato plants.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14078

I have no personal experience with putting diluted bleach on a living plant and having it survive. Are there "before and after" photos somewhere on the Web of a plant treated with bleach?

Thx!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Most people pinch of the leaves as they are putting the plant in the ground. I have never heard of anyone losing a plant because of infection from burying cut leaves, and the reason is this... When a life threatening infection starts in a leaf the plant will block off that leaf and drop it off to protect itself (when you pinch off a leave leave an inch or so on the plnat so the plnat can heal this way. You can pinch/cut the day before putting the plants in the ground and a protective callus will form as the wet tissue dries.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Thank you very much for suggestions and education, appreciated indeed!

I planted most of my tomatoes last weekend into the raised beds, but the last four plants wanted to try directly in the ground with some compost and vermiculite additions. Last four are in the ground as of this evening.

Thank you all again! So much to learn!

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”