somegeek

Starters from seed - foliage light green?

I'm curious with my starters - the foliage is on the light side of green. I figured they'd be darker. Is this indicative of them lacking certain nutrients? I've just potted the seedlings in a potting soil/perlite mix so far. No added nutrients. I was pondering an organic fertilizer mix w/ some lime/calcium.

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

Timlin

I never feed my seedlings until they are a pretty good size. Are they a 'spring' green? Not seeing them makes it hard to comment but if they are getting lots of light and are growing okay I'd hold off on the feed if it were me.

somegeek

I'm used to getting darker green starters at the local nursery which is what had me wondering. I'm comparing the plants in the upper corners with the rest. I did water them with some regular strength Miracle Gro tomato mix about a week ago. Wondering if that's nutrient burn or over watering which caused the discoloration in the foliage?

[img]https://somegeek.home.comcast.net/somegeek_seedling_67.jpg[/img]

I've been trying to hold off until the pots get light to water again. Trying not to over water but also wondering at what point these are big enough and I can just water these and not worry about over watering?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

elevenplants

The Miracle Gro might have been a little much for them so young...maybe a dilute mixture? I use liquid fish on mine until they start to blossom, just a couple tablespoons of the mixture on them once a week when they're small like yours, later when they're potted up into 1 or 3 gallon pots, and especially after they're in the ground, at the rate of a cup a week. But only until blossom starts. After that, only about once every 2 or 3 weeks.

You might try foliar feeding, also, instead of watering with your fert. Just put your mixture into a spray bottle and wet them down good, top and bottom of the leaves, in the morning where they'll dry quickly. Do this a couple of times a week. They'll green up. :)

Rebecca

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”