newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Any Compari Tomato Advice?

I'd like to try my hand at growing Comparis, but I notice that they aren't generally sold in most nurseries (at least up here in MN). Any tips or cautions about growing Compari tomatoes?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Funny you mentioned this variety - I find it to be the best "store bought" tomato for my taste (when no local farm raised available)...

I planted few fresh seeds (right or wrong) 3 weeks ago, just after I eat those tomatoes. All sprouted, and still growing!

[img]https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/duhvinci/2009_garden/store_tomato_campari_planted.jpg[/img]

I think you will find this thread interesting to read, specially click on the link to the picture in tomato database - his vine is over 12' tall!

[url=https://forums.organicgardening.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2141078301/m/3961072193]Campari From Seeds[/url]

Regards,
D

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

D -

Fascinating! Thanks for the info! I'm surprised to hear they're not supposed to grow from seed ... but then intrigued that so many people are able to anyway. I have a Campari (is it Campari or Compari?) tomato from one of the last packs I bought that I'm letting ripen thoroughly to get seed from. Hopefully that'll work. I'm glad to see yours have!

12' tall, huh? WOW. That's ... a big plant. I suppose I'd better have a good trellis and/or stake available if they do take.

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Hm ... I read a few other other threads just now in which one person said their Campari plant only got to 3-4 feet. I suppose I'd still had better be ready just in case.
:flower:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

May not be true from seed, which is likely why they don't recommend growing from seed...

HG

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Thanks Scott. We'll give it a go and see what happens!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's the thing. And select the best plant out of those seeds. And then select the best of those plants. And now you know how we get heirloom cultivars...

My buddy Len who I do a radio show started selecting seed from a local hybrid called 'Sauce and Slice' years ago. The tomatoes last year were not much like the ones from Year One; good, but different. Can't see how Compari would be any different. Unless you start with a clonal culture (grown from a cutting or microtissue), you are not guaranteed the same plant. Tomatoes are self fertile, and if pollinated with it's own pollen you will LIKELY get the same plant, but then the ghost of Gregor Mendel pops up in a regressive gene and suddenly you get a redheaded kid. Or the bee stumbles in with pollen from the Brandywine next door and all bets are off.

Gotts to like how Mother Nature gits-R-done... :wink:

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Fri May 01, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

haha. sounds like a puzzle!

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Just thought I'd give an update on the experiment. I left one Campari out of the last container I bought and let it over-ripen at room temperature. After a couple weeks, I opened it and dumped all the seeds into a bit of seed soil (in an old raspberry container), dabbed them lightly to get a bit of dirt mixed with the tomato flesh (the gel stuff the seeds are in - I don't know what that's called) and put the container in my mini greenhouse. A week or so later, this is what the container looks like:

[img]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jig48n2cjxc/SguW3-2zNGI/AAAAAAAABAY/tNJIl5ZzsSQ/s200/campari+seedlings.jpg[/img]

At last count (just now as I started thinning) 54 seeds have sprouted! And new ones are popping up every day. Very fertile seeds, I'd say! We'll just have to see what the fruit looks like. :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”