Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Flavorful slicing tomato?

I think I'm pretty much set with my smaller fruit tomatoes, love those little guys as a snack! But also wondering, what are some of your favorites flavorful tomato variety for slicing?

Thanks for any input in advance!

Regards,
D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Still a Brandywine guy after all these years, but Cherokee Purple last year was nice...

HG

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Brandywine has a nice flavor, but is not a production workhorse like Park's Whopper, Better Boy, Big Beef, Big Bite, all of which are productive, disease resistant, with nice texture and flavor. I've never grown any but bought some German Johnsons last year and they were quite good. Am conducting growth and taste tests this year on several heirloom tomatoes, until that result, have little opinion on older varieties.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We didn't say production, Alex, we said flavor... :wink:

HG

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Thank you for your responses, appreciated indeed!

Stopped by a local nursery, since is a bit too late to start from seed this year... Not expecting much, but to my surprise, their variety is pretty good. Exceptionally healthy looking plants of good size, and all on sale, cheaper than Lowe's or Home Depot - $2.99 for 15"-20" plants with thick and straight stems.

Brandy Wine, Juliet, Husky Gold Cherry and Yellow Boy came home...

Almost done with the raised beds, all filled up, just making the "grid" - can't wait to actually plant some goodness!

Regards,
D

P.S. My tomatoes that I started from seed look like tiny weeds compare to these nursery monsters!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Is Yellow Boy new. I have seen it around this year but there is very little info on it on the internet.

chefshelle

I would recommend Pink Girl!

pharmerphil

guess it's a personal pref. thing, but If you like a less acidic tomato, Then I like golden queen.
As for the reds, I like brandywines, they are good, possibly though the Belgium giants are tastier, I do like the Cherokee purple, and another purple tomato, Carbon...
We raise Amish Paste, and a type that I crossed years ago to make a very Large Amish paste type, they are great for sauce/paste, but my wife likes them sliced on a sammich too :D
Geez, guess I didn't figure which I preferred huh :lol:
another heirloom that has a very acidic, and probably the most tomato-y taste is PeachBlow Sutton; however, we haven't had great results with the plant as far as production, maybe it's the climate here in Minnesota, but all other varieties do great here, so, maybe it's just the variety

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”