Jan Davis

leggy tomato plants

Help needed! I planted my tomato and pepper seeds early in February, have transplanted the tomatoes twice on the full moons - they are now in half gallon pots. Although the stems are strong, the plants are getting tall and leggy with not many leaf sets. All are in east and south facing windows - I have rotate them regularly. Still 4-6 weeks before I can safely put them in the ground outside. The peppers have only been transplanted once and are all fine.
Most of the plants are close to 18" over the tops of the pots and I did bury them to the top two sets of leaves when transplanting.
Any suggestions on how to slow them down and encourage more leaf growth?
Thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Use lights! Leggy is all about lighting; they are stretching because they think they are being shaded out. Gro lights are a must for early plants...

HG

Jan Davis

Thanks - I'll keep lights in mind for next year's seed starting.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Jan, in the meantime, try hardening the plants during the day; outside in partial shade and out of strong wind. This should help...

HG

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Cover the plants up to their seeds leaves, and give them more light. You can use a cold Frame for your pepper plants. Just use a clear sheet of plexi and lay it over top storage tub.

Jan Davis

Temperature is forecast to be in low 70's this week - I'll give the hardening out on the south facing deck a try.

Brian - 24 plants is way too many to cover up to seed leaves again - they'd need to go into 5 gal buckets and I sure can't afford that many containers or the soil mix to fill them not to mention there isn't room in my house to keep them inside at night!

Might get them outside in wall'o'waters 1st weekend of May. Odd that last year I never had leggy plants - same procedure, same soil mix, same windows!

Thanks!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Has there been a usual amount of sun your way, or has it been cloudier? Does seem odd to get such different results. New seed varieties?

Jan Davis

Everything the same exceptmost all of March was unseasonably warm and sunny. Our usual March weather of snowy cold didn't come until the first two weeks of April after the seedlings were well established. Plenty of warm sunshine for 6 weeks followed by limited light for over two weeks which is when they shot up with few leaf sets - yes?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I think you are on it...

Trust your instincts...

:)

HG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”