hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Black Krim

Was so delighted today. Visited the local farmer's market annual spring event. Heirloom tomato seedlings are becoming much more readily available here, and while looking over a table I noticed 'black krim' among the available varieties. Well, 'black krim' only came to my attention after having ordered seeds and planting this year's seedlings, so figured that it would be next year before getting to try this variety. I am so excited to be trying both 'black krim' and 'cherokee chocolate' this year. 'Carbon' is still in the batter's box for next year.

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

Black Krim are a staple in my garden..
I'm trying Carbon this year for the first time because of the great reviews that I have heard about it.
Keep us posted about that Cherokee Chocolate.

Rob
Cool Member

I think the grocery stores finally did themselves in with their flavorless selections. People want tomatoes!!!

I've got 2 black krim in my garden this year. First try at them.
We can compare notes through out the year.
8)

MagnoliaMan
Cool Member

I have never grown green topped tomatoes. Do you chop off the top or does it have the same flavor AND texture as the bottom? Teach this neophyte, Alex!
Chuck

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Same here. For slicers I've always grown better boy, big beef, big bite, park's whopper, celebrity, etc. They are very uniform in color and shape. Never liked those irregularly shaped heirlooms. In the past have tried Brandywine which to me is very good but too low in production to meet my standards and get much space in the garden. This is my first year ever trying several different heirlooms. Am trying Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, German Johnson, Goliath, German Queen, Brandywine. Also growning Big Bite, Big Beef, Whopper, Believe it or Not, Delicious, Celebrity.

Every year I also grow a few Juliets and a few Sweet Cluster plants as the fruit begins to mature so early in the season.

Every other year I grow ten or twelve Italian type tomatoes for drying.

Anyway, this is a year for experimentation on the heirlooms. It will be at least another six weeks before these varieties start producing and the judging begins.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

You generally do not have to cut the green shoulders off of "black" tomatoes, but as with any tomato, sometimes the green is from uneven ripening so you may want to do a little trimming of hard shoulder flesh. I don't recall green shoulders on my black krim though, a little concentric cracking on the shoulders usually happens.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”