lil-things

Upside Down Gardening

I found this site, about upside down gardening. I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can work on these. Check them out, I bought one of those topsy turby planters, I am going to take it back and make my own.

https://www.upsidedowntomatoplant.com/

Very interesting for new gardening, I can't get down to weed, I think this is the anwser.

Adrien

I've tried upside down gardening, and noticed a couple of things: upside down growing requires little more management than container gardening. In full sun, these relatively small containers for hanging can dry out rapidly and expose roots to high temperatures.
Also, keep in mind that the roots will grow downward from the rootball until they hit the bottom of the pot and then grow in circles to fill the pot. Plant the root ball as 'deep' as possible, I.e. as close to the top of the container so the roots have more room to fill the pot before hitting the bottom. To do that, it would be best to grow a tall, leggy seedling so there's a longer stem allowing the top of the plant to reach out of the bottom of the container.
Best of luck!

kylie77

I'm going to try this but with a plastic planter. I have lots of those buckets to put on my deck, but just think hanging them would look ugly! Will be interesting to compare the upsidedown ones with the ones in the garden and containers! Great space saving idea though.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

JUst painted my rainbarrels and they look great. You could paint buckets so no one would even recognize them (I love recycling...)

HG

kylie77

That's the plan! I have the paint, have just been waiting for a day without wind so I can get it done. But I still thought the shape would be funny for hanging? Maybe I should go for it.

I love recycling too. My dh is a chef so can get those buckets very easily. For us part of the point of doing a veg garden is to save some money, so seems pointless to spend a ton on containers to plant in! I also have a lovely neighbour who has given me a ton of planters, and has more to give me! Haven't spent a cent on this stuff yet, just the seeds and dirt stuff.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey if you are getting free planters, it's all good,you got great neighbors; I just think the five gallon size is about right for a tomato... I get the aesthetic thing too, but that's why I grow mine in the ground...

I keep four or five of those five gallon pails around just for general purpose; weeding, mixing soil, hauling water; just a good multipurpose tool; I've used 'em as seats more than once...

What does Chef DH think of the project? Any inputs on veggies? Varieties? I'd think he would want herbs...

And Kylie, it's soil, dear. We sweep up dirt, we plant in soil.

:wink:

HG

kylie77

Well, my dh is not into it much really. He seems to enjoy watching things grow, but he always thinks I go overboard! I just think if I'm going to do something I'm going to learn what I can about it. So it's much more my thing than his. He will use the herbs, but we don't have anything very exciting just oregano, sage, chives, and basil. But... I've read there is choc mint, and am DYING to try that. Probably not till next year though and I better stop before I run out of space. We only have a very small amount of space really. DH is looking forward to the chili peppers and jalapeno peppers I've started for him! Oooh, and I want to try making sundried tomatoes too! We keep seeing them in cosco and they look so yummy, but... just too expensive. So I can't wait to try to make them.

My kids just can't wait to eat zucchini off of their plants! They've been watching in wonder as their own plants have been growing. I had no idea they would grow so fast, but I'm so glad I chose to give the kids zucchini plants as their own.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey start a mint (IN A POT! PLEASE DON'T PUT IT IN THE GROUND!) Stuff is a little aggressive, but the chocolate mint is neat; more in the nose than the palate, but it's nice. I have 'Kentucky Colonel' spearmint in a container that is going on five years now; I just start some plugs early and stick them in here and there as the season progresses...

Now the zucchini will be fun for the kids as the little seeds they planted will be twice their size shortly. That ought to get their attention. :lol: And you will have planted the seeds of gardening in your youngsters and those will be a lot of fun to watch grow too...

:D

HG

kylie77

Well, the zucchini is now about a foot tall! We planted them about a month ago now. They have been great fun to watch. It's even better that the two the kids have are the biggest of the bunch! lol

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”