Adrien

You're right, Garry, I didn't mean in any way to trivialize gardening when I said it was a hobby. Increasing number of is people growing vegetables at home in order to save on their grocery bills. Growing vegetables is a good way to get more variety on your table than you ever thought possible. And the vegetables you grow yourself tastes SO much better than the stuff that can buy in the supermarket! Best of luck with the peppers!

drerodz
Newly Registered

I've started my container tomatoes last week. 3 seeds per container. The nights are still cold here, about 50-40 degrees. A friend suggested covering the tops with plastic wrap to keep the soil warm and moist so I'm contemplating it.

Has anyone ever heard of or tried this?

Garry2009

Hello Drerodz:

Okay, straight up...I'm new here, and certainly the least qualified to give advice. But I have a couple of questions and an opinion: (1) How big are your containers? (2) Are you planning to seperate and re-plant the seedlings later on, to indiviudal containers? (3) Temperature: I can pretty much assure you that your plants aren't going to like those 40-degree nights, especially during germination and first-growth. The Saran Wrap will probably help to some degree, but I think that's pretty chilly for seedlings.

Anyway, good luck and Happy Easter.
Garry

Adrien

I always cover the containers with see-thru plastic wrap to keep the soil warm and moist (the soil remains moist for lot longer, so you have to do less watering, which means less chances of over watering!). Of course, once the seedlings come out, I remove the plastic. 40 degrees is waay too chilly to start seedlings, move your containers inside (they should be at about 70-80 degrees).

drerodz
Newly Registered

I agree. The plants just sprounted 2 days ago and it's been awfully chilly so I've brough them inside past few nights. Thanks everyone.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”