pepper4
Green Thumb

Sun exposure

I am trying to get my plants out but the weather isn't allowing it. If we do get a sunny day but not real warm how low can the temp be. Like today 49-52. Sun in and out but windy. When I said out I don't mean in the ground but just taking them out in the pots for awhile. This was suggested as soon as possible but not sure how low temp. can be. Thanks! Bambi

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Just my opinion from experience but here is my guideline used for my tender plants. 50-60 degrees and sunny, outside in a coldframe. Above sixty, whether sunny or not, outside in direct sun. Below 50, they stay inside. That is provided the plants are hardened enough to handle full sun!

pepper4
Green Thumb

Thanks! I will take your experienced opinion because I have none. Trying not to make too many mistakes. Inside they will stay for now and by the weather forcast all next week. Thanks! :)

tomatodude

Anything above 50 degrees is safe, but I would avoid full sun exposure unless the plants have been hardened off, and also be weary of real windy conditions...as it can be damaging to tender seedlings also.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Yes, should have mentioned wind. Mine are aways given a protective barrier if not totally adjusted to the wind.

Also should have mentioned, that When the highs are above sixty and lows are at least 40, the plants in the unheated coldframe stay out overnight. If the lows stay much above 40, the larger plants that won't fit in the coldframe also stay out overnight. All plants seem to be doing very well with that regimen. All of my plants have been outside every day possible, some of the plants even before true leaves developed. The sun and wind don't even phase them. Except the large plant that blew off of the porch the other day when we were having 25-35 mph gusts. It lost about five inches off of the top of the main stem.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”