operationgreenthumb64
Newly Registered

hi all!!! I just joined. This site sounds like fun. I have a question. does any one know if you can plant the seeds out of the tomatoes in a can? :?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The contents of canned goods at the very least have been heated to very high, pressurized canning temperatures, which would likely kill any tomato seeds. Besides, if viable, those constantly wet seeds would sprout in the can while it sits on the shelf.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If the canning proceedure was not good enough to kill tomato seeds it would also not kill tougher life forms like botulism, salmonella, other bactreria, fungi etc. etc

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

You could try it...and see what happens. If you want to experiment a little, grab some tomatoes from a grocery store and use those seeds, I have 3 tomatoe plants growing from grocery store produce, but about 30 tomato plants in all from legit seed companies. I just want to see what happens, it's fun not know what you will get sometimes...happy growing!

GardenBob
Newly Registered

yes, it is possible to plant them. No, it is not possible for them to germinate as the heat of processing cooks and kills them.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

No - you cannot plant seeds from canned tomatoes.

Ugh - sorry. Didn't realize this was a thread from six years ago. Honestly, "GardenBob"???

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”