smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Indoor starts with yellow leaves.

I got some indoor starts that are looking really good, at least I think but the leaves have a yellow tint to them. Is that normal for indoor starts? The wife thinks I have the lights to close I had them about 3 or 4 inches from them. Here is a picture. I think the color is a bit off in the pic but at least that gives you an idea.

Thoughts?

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3629/3392847779_9633014f5e.jpg?v=0[/img]

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3629/3392847779_9633014f5e.jpg?v=0

elevenplants

I looked at your picture. They are kinda yellow. I might say overwatering, except the soil appears a bit dry, actually. My very first impression - and how I would probably treat - would be with liquid kelp, liquid seaweed, or even liquid fish mixed a little weak. Looks like the nitrogen level might be a little low. Hit them about twice a week for a while. and watch the moisture levels.....also, do you think it might be close to time for you to plant out, or possibly pot up? They look like they could use a little more room.

Just a laywoman's opinion, now. Nothing more, nothing less. :wink:

Rebecca

soil
Greener Thumb

what soil are you using? fertilizer? water used? my lights are within 2 inches of my plants and they are a deep dark green. looks to be a lockout or a deficiency to me.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Ya they have taken off since I moved them into those bigger pots but it may be time to pot up one more time. I wasn't expecting them to take off so fast.

As far as soil it was a mix between potting soil (not sure what brand), compost, and some peat moss. Maybe I over did the peat moss or I should of left that out all together.

I haven't fertilized them yet because they were doing so well. If it looks like they are lacking Nitrogen do you think some blood meal (or dried blood 12%) would work? If so how much do you think I should mix in water before watering them? If blood meal isn't good I'll have to find a place that carries some of that other stuff that was recommended. And the water that I'm using is rain water.

applestar
Mod

That might explain it. Sounds like you didn't add lime or wood ash to counter the acidity of peat moss? Check this out: https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf428953.tip.html

If you have compost, try using compost tea, maybe fortified with some alfalfa pellets/meal.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

applestar: That's a nice site I'll have to book mark it. I wasn't aware that peat moss was acidic till after I made my mix. I've used it for about 2 years with no problems before.

I'll add a little lime, and I bought some fertilizer today to give them. Let's see how they come out of this.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”