elevenplants

maters everywhere....and I hope a lot to eat!

We are in a new locale this year (since October of last year) - finally, our own home! So I've been getting beds ready since last fall. I am putting my tomatoes in a few places, but the main one is a lasagna bed, about 25 feet x 5 feet....gonna put a row of basil right in the front! I also have several planters I plan to use, and am actually going to try the upside down method this year as well. The varieties I am trying this year are as follows:

Brandywine
Amish Paste
Beefsteak
German Tree
Genovese Costualato
Bloody Butcher
Russian Black
Carbon
Cherokee Purple
Black Cherry

I think that's all. :) These have all been in cups since the last of January, and are growing wonderfully well....I'll have to step them up to bigger pots I'm sure before time to plant them out....I'm so excited. The only one I am growing this year that I have tried before is the Brandywine...a definite keeper....I'm hopeful about the blacks and purples...does anyone have experience with these? Would love to know any tips and/or tricks.

Great to be here!

Rebecca

Timlin

Hi Rebecca. I'm always interested to hear how folks from other climates are gardening. I'm in a zone 2 in Canada so we are under 3 feet of snow and while it's not so bad right now by tomorrow we will be under a huge deep freeze again.

I've had my greenhouse opened about 5 or 6 hours a day the last week so my tomatoes seeded in early January and early February are out there basking a few hours a day and then inside under lights for a few more hours.

I have the first blossoms beginning to form on the earliest plants (these will stay in the greenhouse all summer, I'll seed the plants for outdoors in about another 2 weeks from now.) I get very excited as the promise of fresh tomatoes for our table begins to become evident.

One new tomatoe I'm trying this season is 'Tumbling Tom Red' It's a container cherry tomatoe I thought might be nice both in the greenhouse and on the deck through the summer months. I also grow a yellow cherry tomato and full sized both red and yellow in the greenhouse.

I haven't decided what the list will be for the summer garden tomatoes but I can't wait to turn the new bed we prepared last fall. We will place a plastic hoop over the bed and be able to get the tomatoes in the ground earlier in the spring.

Oh man it's coming soon now!! :)

I hope you'll come back and tell us how you're making out.

elevenplants

Oh, I will, Timlin. :) I love to share gardening ideas, tips, whatever. Especially about tomatoes! My sprouts are progressing at just about the right pace to be ready to plant out in mid-April. I am blessed to have an indoor 'breezeway' that is a sunroom and perfect (if a little cramped) for sprouting/growing....it's like a greenhouse, really, and I've run a little heater in there on the coldest days and nights to keep the temps even. I too am very excited about those fresh tomatoes! I still have plenty of frozen, sauced and dried, but I'm getting ready for a big ol' juicy SLICE! :lol:

Nice to hear from you.

Rebecca

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”