bretkennedy
Newly Registered

organic fertalizer and pest prevention without 'cide'

hi all.

well I have since replanted new roma tomatoes, I am in australia so our summer is just finishing, the seedlings are up, but they are not quite high enough to put in the pot yet, but the couple of questions I have to ask is this.
1) I have a worm farm that produces both liquid and solid fertalizer. is there a problem with using this? and if not, how often do you fertalize, 1 x per week? per fortnight?
2) I have heard that you can plant tomatoes near other plants that will keep away pests and such, or what is the best way to stop pests from coming around without using a pestacide.

thanks in advance.
bret

Cirtes

For worm castings, I work a handful or two into the top of the soil every couple months to fertilize.

The worm tea must be diluted before use or it will burn the plant. 10 to 1 is a good ratio, then use a garden sprayer to spray the plants. I have no idea why it works but it does discourage aphids and leaf borers.

The diluted worm tea also works wonders when starting seeds and has fungicidal properties. This is key for getting the seedlings past the danger of damping off fungus. Same 10 to 1 ratio.

Worm farms rock!

[edited for bad English]

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”