bretkennedy
Newly Registered

My Roma Tomatoes

Hi all. I have attached a link to pictures of my roma's. at this stage I only have 3 tomatoes on my plant, but I am just wanting to make sure that I have pruned and stuff correctly.

I looked on the internet and found some info, after my plant got just above thigh height, I pruned the top vine, so it would grow out. since then I have managed to get 3 tomatoes, but no more..

just wondering if you can see anything that I might have missed, or is everything goin to plan.

cheers bret

[img]https://thedarklurkingmovie.com/veggies/tomato1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://thedarklurkingmovie.com/veggies/tomatoe2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://thedarklurkingmovie.com/veggies/tomatoe3.jpg[/img]
[img]https://thedarklurkingmovie.com/veggies/tomatoe4.jpg[/img]

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Is it just my imagination or does that look just like a pepper plant, white blossoms and all?!

Hate to disappoint when you go to pick a tomato and end up with a hot pepper--eek!

For reference, here is a tomato with new fruit growing. Note how the fruit is attached to the plant:

[img]https://knittingangel.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/100_0604.jpg[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

My thoughts also. The leaves in your photographs look like (bell? hot?) pepper leaves and not tomato leaves.

As petalfuzz says, the calyxes (attachment points) are also very different.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I assumed this was a joke post. Someone is having a little fun.

bretkennedy
Newly Registered

sorry To dissapoint you all, not a joke... but you may still laugh if you like.

the seeds I got out of the packet were from a roma tomato packet, so I guess the joke is on me.

sorry to put this in the wrong area.

I guess I will just have to buy new seeds.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Hey, it is a very nice looking pepper plant, very healthy looking. Appears to be some pimento type. The seeds are much larger than tomato seeds, and usually more of a white color. I find pepper plants to be much more challenging than growing tomato plants so for you, tomatoes should be a snap!
Last edited by hendi_alex on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Tomato seeds are little spheres. Pepper seeds are flattish with a slight curve to them. Do you remember what the packet's seeds looked like? Are there any left?

Cynthia

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If you do decide to grow Romas in the future do not prune them. They are a determinant variety that flowers off the top of the growth points, and thus sets all of its fruit in a short period of time. If you prune this type of tomato production is severly reduced.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bretkennedy wrote: I guess I will just have to buy new seeds.
Forgive me if I am mistaken but isn't it getting a little late to begin again from seed? You may have some luck with transplants if you can find any this late. Perhaps this year you will be getting your Tomatoes from fruit stands and garden markets. Don't be discouraged and make sure to try again next year.

Oh, I have found that Peppers are somewhat slower growers than Tomatoes so you may want to adjust your schedule forward a few weeks depending, of course, upon when you started your 'Tomatoes' this year and how big they got inside. In other words if your Peppers were on the large side before you were able to plant them out then start a few weeks later with actual Tomatoes. I always start Peppers earlier than Tomatoes.

Norm

bretkennedy
Newly Registered

thanks for all the responses.

the peppers are doing just great. Thanks for the pruning info too. I was under the assumption that when the tomato plant gets to a certain height you prune so that it sprouts outwards, but I will just leave it.

I don't know that I will have any issues growing them now, at least I am losing nothing by trying ;)

the packet itself was given to me, so I am just going to assume that they were mixed up.

as for the new roma's, they were purcahsed from the shop, so no mistaking there.

night all
bret

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Most tomato varieties naturally put out copious amounts of lateral branches from leaf axils as soon as that region of the plant is mature enough and you'll generaly have 2-4 branches starting below the first flower truss. Pruning, for most people means removing most of these "suckers" as soon as they get about 2 inches long. This is to prevent the plant from becoming too wild/rangy for their particular method of supportin their plants. Pruning cuts down on total number and pounds of fruit, but those fruits that are produced grow slightly larger.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”