Grey
Greener Thumb

HOW big do they get?

So I planted Better Boy tomatoes this year. Just stuck them in the clay soil, added a little eggshell just in case...

HOW BIG do these tomatoes get??? :lol: I have some on the vine that are still green and could pass for small pumpkins or gourds! One of them is nearly 5 inches in diameter. Should I be cutting them off at some point and letting them turn color indoors?

My romas in the ground are the biggest roma tomatoes I've ever gotten. The clay is obviously richer than my Black Kow/eggshell/whatever mulch I could find mix in pots that I also grew this year.

Species-8472

[url]https://www.seminisgarden.com/popular/betterboy.html[/url]

The text below is a quote from the above link..

"This hybrid tomato has been a household name among home gardeners for years, and for good reason. Better Boy hybrid tomato consistently produces good yields of smooth, large, flavorful tomatoes.

The deep globe fruit average about 1/2 pound each in weight, maturing around 75 days from transplants.

Probably the best-known and most popular home garden tomato in the world, Better Boy is widely adapted and offers resistance to
V-1, F-1, N, ASC, St. This variety sells well due to name recognition, and is a must for seed and plant retailers. "

Damon

Grey
Greener Thumb

Pretty amazing!

I planted these for years in FL before giving up. They never have a chance to get that big, the humidity and heat just kills them, or the bugs find them before they are half-grown.

Thanks for the link, Species!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

'Better Boy' is a sport of 'Big Boy', so I bet they get huge...

You're not complaining are you, Grey? :?

:lol:

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:'Better Boy' is a sport of 'Big Boy', so I bet they get huge...

You're not complaining are you, Grey? :?

:lol:

Scott
No - not at all. Just impressed!
They are winding down now - we're starting to get a little chilly at night. I pulled half my tomato plants out yesterday (and apparently, weeding is one of the things I am no longer allowed to do, as my back informed me rather unpleasantly last night).

Very much looking forward to working with these tomato plants again next year. I've got the seeds from the best growers this year drying in a dish. :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Way to go Grey! Seed saving is the best way to go!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I pulled my tomatoes down last weekend. Even though they were in a greenhouse, we have had several frost now, and I was worried about losing my whole crop! I wasn't prepared to pay the heating bill this year to keep it warm either (everything has jumped so high) so out they came.
Had a good crop, and most of them are a good 6 to 7 inches across! I think this is the first year they have ever been this big! Of course, they're not all ripe, so I have them all over the house! :lol:
VAL
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, our "Rainy Season" started this past weekend and most of my tomatoes are splitting. I guess it is seed saving time again. (sigh) I do love eating fresh tomatoes. Oh well. Onward and upward.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We'll stil be in the 40's all this week so they are staying put for a while, but I'll just hang whole plants (with roots) in the garage when frost threatens (Old Maine trick I picked up from a friends grandpa...)

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

The great thing about all this seed saving is that I will have lots of seeds to trade (especially at Seedy Saturday this Feb) and also, I will have lots of free seeds for my garden next year. The cycle continues.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yep - some of my tomatoes are splitting now too - is that a nutrition deficiency? We haven't had rain since Rita, and before that I don't think it rained save for Katrina. Been pretty dry around here...

All I have left are two Better Boys and a Roma. Not sure if the ones on the Roma are going to get much bigger, but it was loaded, so I left it for now. :lol:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Have your Romas split? They are usually pretty tolerant compared to other tomatoes.

I don't think that it is a nutrient deficiency, probably just the lack of thermal energy in the air (low temperatures) and maybe some of that lingering moisture from the hurricane.

Grey
Greener Thumb

No, the Romas are fine. Just the Better Boys - I couldn't see a rhyme or reason, some of the biggest ones are fine, some of the smaller ones split, and it happens on each plant, not just one.

I don't normally grow other kinds of tomatoes like big boy or better boy - in FL they always either got bugs or rotted before they could develop, so I stuck to Romas (I once had about 30 plants) and cherry tomato varieties. I avoid using pesticides at all (something the DH is only starting to understand) so that's why my bigger tomatoes never made it!

I am amazed at how few bugs came near my plants here. I think I had about two weeks of pulling caterpillars and worms away from my plants and that was it as far as the critters went. I can't imagine that's normal - it has probably been so long since anybody GREW anything in this yard that the bugs moved elsewhere. lol.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Very cute Grey!! :lol:
When I hear you guys talk about all the bugs and caterpillars and worms and such, I guess there is one more benefit to living up north! I hardly ever have problems with bugs or need to figure out how to get rid of pesky critters, cause we just don't have them - they don't survive through the winter! So we do have some pluses!!! :wink:
VAL
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes but, the mosquitos up there are huge! I thought they were pterodactyls they were so big. I couldn't believe it. At least they should be gone by now.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yeah, the mosquitoes can be bad if you live in the wrong spot. They certainly prefer specific types of breeding grounds, so are more prevalent there - like where you go fishing! Also, they really only have one burst in the summer, and then they are over. I guess we've just gotten used to them! :lol:
VAL
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

Grey
Greener Thumb

grandpasrose wrote:Very cute Grey!! :lol:
When I hear you guys talk about all the bugs and caterpillars and worms and such, I guess there is one more benefit to living up north! I hardly ever have problems with bugs or need to figure out how to get rid of pesky critters, cause we just don't have them - they don't survive through the winter! So we do have some pluses!!! :wink:
VAL
No bugs????

I cannot imagine that. I grew up in FL. I've lived around multitudes of bugs and crawly things my whole life. Mosquitoes too. I must say I don't miss all the mosquitoes- we do have them here but I think I've had all of FIVE bite me all summer. Save the weekend we visited my family, and I felt I was going to get eaten alive! You RUN in the door, close the inner door, and have to make sure all the mosquitoes that followed you in are dead before you enter the house proper. Craziness. :roll:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Usually that cracking on 'maters is variance in watering amounts; they like very measured amounts of water and more or less can lead to cracking...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”