caprifishkiller
Newly Registered

wilting baby toms

I have recently planted many siberian tomatoes from my own seed. I have started them in a mini hot house(clear plastic storage container). All the children are looking good and are about 3" tall. The problem is when I take the top off and let them out into the world 70 deg and sunny they wilt and look like they will die in 15-20 mins. I then put the roof back on and within the 15-20 time frame they are all better.
It apears they are scared of the sun.
My babies need help. :?:

pd

I would say that you need to acclimatise them slowly. To remove young plants from a close environment to the open will often give the results that you see.
Admit extra air to the mini hot house gradually or transfer them to another close environment where you can do so (when other plants in the hot house need the close environment).
Expose them a little more daily over a period of a week by gradually raising the cover of whatever you are using.
I find the heated or unheated windowsill propagator fine for this operation

[url]https://www.raffia.plus.com/[/url]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Young plants grown in high humidity do not develop a waxy coating on their surface and so lose water very quickly, they also do not develop a good root system because they do not have a need for much water. Decreasing the humidity by incrementally opening up the enclosure should help.

grannygreenthumb
Newly Registered

And when you do finally begin to harden them off keep them out of the direct sun for a couple of days. It is quite a shock to the system to go directly from a protected environment into the bright sun. Dappled shade is much safer. Wind too can kill them so keep them shielded from winds until they adapt.

caprifishkiller
Newly Registered

THANK YOU ALL :D
The kids are all doing fine.
Just what the doctor ordered.
Being a rookie I am sure I will find more problems down the road..It is good to know there are good people out there with higher brain power and greener thumbs.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”