brokenbar

Large Fruited Tomatillos

I can A LOT of Salsa Verde as it is my families favorite and I also make Enchilada's quite often (they are my reliable "Bring a dish" thing to potlucks, etc.)

I went looking for larger tomatillos this year. The little ones are a pain-in-the-butt to core and it takes a gajillion of them. I found two varieties, Cisneros and Maje that were touted as being much larger and without sacrificing taste. Cisneros...WOW. size of a small orange and the plants were loaded. I stake my tomatillos because they have to be the winner for biggest "sprawler" in the garden (they really do irritate me...) The flavor is outstanding and the consistency was perfect for Salsa Verde. Maje, not quite as big but nearly so and again, just loaded to the gills with fruit. These have an interesting citrus taste. Cooked, in salsa, I don't taste it but maybe because I use lemon and lime juice in my Salsa Verde Recipe. I will be growing both of these again. Seed is available here:https://www.tomatogrowers.com/tomatillos.htm

I have decided to till up a special spot and load it with aged manure and grow the Tillo's over there. They just get too huge and too tall and too big around. They are difficult to stake because the branches snap much easier than tomatoes and it seems like I am tying them up AGAIN every other day.

Marge
Cool Member

Out of interest what is the difference in taste between tomatillos and tomatoes?

brokenbar

I find the tomatillos milder and less water in them. They also have a tarter flavor than the tomatoes. I have made salsa verde with both and prefer the tomatillos.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”