brokenbar

Sun Dried Tomatoes

I raise tomatoes for sun drying. I do about 1000 to 2000 lbs a year which I sell to the upscale restaurants in Cody Wyoming & Billings Montana. I wanted to pass on my favorites for you considering doing some drying. Any tomato can be used for drying but some varieties are better than others.
I grow 15 mainstay varieties that I have kept as I culled others that did not meet my criteria. I have over 150 plants.
I also try at least 5 new varieties of paste types each year and am lucky if one makes it into my "herd". I am looking for specific things:

Â

Gnome
Mod

brokenbar,

Thanks for the very informative post and welcome to The Helpful Gardener.

Norm

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Wow! What great instructions! and a recommendation for a cultivar of tomato I hadn't heard of before...gotta try it out next year.

Is there a functional purpose for marinating in the wine, or is this for taste purposes? I ask b/c red wine, even in trace amounts, is a migraine trigger for me. I wouldn't want to mess up tomatoes with a migraine trigger...

But I definitely look forward NEXT YEAR to a better growth of 'maters than I had this year, and having some to dry.

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener, and you are so blessed to live in the absolutely beautiful state of Wyoming. (I lived in Cheyenne for four years when I was a kid.)

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

brokenbar

Cynthia, The wine is for flavor. I have a friend who is "anti" alchohol. She uses Sparkling red non alcoholic wine and sparkling cider. I have another friend who does not drink because of migraines also. I think if you did not marinate them but did all the other, they should be pretty terrific. I give all the neighbors and my family a pint of sun-drieds in olive oil (Costco or else you will have to re-finance your home!), with a little booklet I prepare with sun-dried tomato recipes (I try every single recipe before including it.) I tie the booklet with some ribbon to the jar. They get a pint and if they return my jars they get "upgraded" to a quart the following year. My sneaky neighbors also know what I am doing this time of year and "drop in" unexpectedly. Honest, if you do these as gifts you will be on your families "A" list. I am very old-fashined and I think that giving something you make as a gift is what Christmas should be about.

brokenbar

Cynthia...I forgot toadd that you could use a Rieseling or other white. It should be just as good.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the tips! Yes, there are a couple of very dry (hmmm... "austere") white wines that I have tentatively tried and that haven't laid me low, so there is some hope there...

And I also make kitchen gifts for the holidays. I make fruitcakes which people LOVE ADORE EAT CRUMBS OF. And chutney, Chinese-style plum sauce, jams, etc.--the usual "abundant fruit" gifts.

Maybe I can get the produce store manager across the street to order me a flat of tomatoes so that I can experiment with your methods in my not-as-dry-as-Wyoming climate...hmmm...how bad could they be? :wink:

Cynthia

origamiRN
Newly Registered

Seed supply

Hi
Thanks for the drying instructions. Where do you find your seeds? I tried googling "Chinese giant" tomato seeds and came up empty. Thanks in advance

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I dehydrate tomatoes every other year. Thanks for your informative post. Printed this one out for future reference.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”