angelbaby5353
Newly Registered

eggs on my tomato plant

Could someone tell me what is laying these eggs on my tomato plant? Several weeks ago I found a hornworm, chewed it to almost nothing. Its growing back but I keep finding theses eggs!
[img]https://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u239/angelbaby5353/meinflorida086.jpg[/img]

american_gardener

Angel..

I'll have to look and see if I can find out what kinds of eggs those are.. but they're not hornworm eggs. The sphix moth or hummingbird moth as some people call it only lays one egg at a time. It may lay 20-30 eggs on different leaves of the plant.. but they'd be just one. I beleive the only color of em is either clear or greenish translucent coloring. But I'm beginning to think I may have some tan/brown ones on some of my tomato plants. I keep finding eggs on alot of my tomatoes too... and so far I've found two tiny hornworms. But whatever it is it's being laid at nite just like a shpinx moth would.. and it's laying single eggs in multiple branches.

Not wanting to take any chances, and not caring what they are I keep picking em off. But, if I find out they are the hornworm eggs I'll let ya know. So far as I know those would be clear or greenish though.

Since I probably should look up and see for sure what's laying eggs on my plants.. if I can I'll try and find what yours are too.

Dave

angelbaby5353
Newly Registered

Thanks Dave,
I know they aren't horn worm eggs, I have picked a few of those off and you are right in the description of what they look like. I appreciate any answers you can find. I have searched myself but have come up with nothing.

american_gardener

I tried looking at a few pics last nite on the internet. Thing is there's just so, so many possiblities that could be like your eggs.

Seems that is a common look for most of the insect egg clusters. I think I may have found the one that's mine though.. it looks just like the stink bug eggs I looked at pictures of. Now normally I would say that I've never had stink bugs at all.. but yesterday while harvesting some wildflower seeds I found a stink bug. So, it just might be those. I'm not gonna leave em on the plants to find out though. Whatever eggs I find on my plants are getting destroyed.. good or bad bugs they don't belong on my leaves.

If I do come across some real possibilites for yours when I look up other info I'll be sure and let ya know.

Dave

angelbaby5353
Newly Registered

Thanks Dave,
In the mean time I will keep checking and if I find more I am putting them in a jar so I can see if they hatch.

american_gardener

That's what I would have tried to do. I didn't suggest it cause some people don't like bothering with it. But, I would think you'd at least get some kind of idea what they'll hatch into even if they die right away.

Could be interesting to see what ya got there.

Dave

Tommie Toes
Newly Registered

I found eggs like that on the underside of my corn leaves and the only bugs I have issues with right now are armyworms, so I figured that was what they were...They look similar to what you have there.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”