alexis tomato

tomatoes - yellow/orange shoulder

I've planted several varieties of tomatoes but do not know the names. One of the varieties has orange or yellow shoulders and a nice red body, quite large, and the most tasty of all my varieties. I have read on the internet that there is a disease that produces yellow shoulders. However, my tomatoes do not seem diseased and are delicious??? My question: is there a specific variety of tomato with the yellow shoulders? :?:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The disorders and diseases that cause discolored areas are fairly uncommon. Uneven ripening due to uneven temperatures around the fruit and periods of cool weather are very common. Some varieties naturally have green or yellow shoulders. Hybridizers have tried very hard to get rid of this trait to produce the perfect red round tasteless tomato, but it still happens even on those...they get culled out so you never see them in the supermarket. For fresh eating just cut the area out it is usually more bland then the rest of the fruit. Don't wory about it if you are cooking.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”