dixiecal
Newly Registered

Heirloom Tomato problems

I have grown tomatoes here in So Cal for around 6 years. First 2 years I had tons of heirlooms. Then the spider mites struck and the next year I had nematodes. So I started using containers because I couldn't find any solution to wipe out the nematodes. I bought 8 Earthboxes and spent a lot of $. This year's tomatoes are the 2nd worst crop ever and I can't figure out what is wrong.
1. I got nice healthy plants 6 ft tall;
2. 99% of the flowers dropped off without fruit sets;
3. The few tomatoes I have gotten (literally 6 per plant- some plants NONE!)
4. The tomatoes are tiny and sickly (1-2" dia Brandywines, etc)
5. Some have blossom end rot, which I have never had before.

Bottom line, the plants are producing no tomatoes or sickly little tiny ones. Plants look dry although the soil is moist.

All I can figure is we had a week of 105 deg temp just when some of them were in bloom; and they are getting too much sun perhaps (I put up a burlap screen, but it didn't seem to help.

Anyone experience similar problems? Any suggestions? I LOVE heirlooms and now I have to wait a year again.

Naehu808

Dixiecal...
so sorry to hear about your tomatoes :cry: ...unfortunately I'm new here and haven't the foggyist notion how to help...I'm sure someone out here will be able to help you with some advice...I've been getting some great advice from most all with much from "Gnome"; Wingdesigner and others. Maybe you could ask them directly if you're in a hurry for an answer. I've just come in the house from trying to rid my tomatoe leaves of leaf miners, (which I had never known prior to coming to this site) and boy am I ticked off about that!! :evil: I'm definitely gonna have to baby these guys. Well I be watching this posting as I'm curious what the suggestions might come your way, we all learn from reading each others problems and suggestions!

A hui hou,
Aloha, Vicki :) :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”