RaresightFarms
Newly Registered

Transplanting Delay = Stunted Adult Tomatoes? Or?

Hello! I am doing container gardening. I planted my tomato seeds 9 weeks ago in small starter cups (1cup volume exactly). They are all heirlooms and took about 1-2 weeks to germinate, depending on the variety. Started indoors, went outside into partial shade once the first true leaves came in. Now, I was planning on transplanting them to larger pots once they got about 3in high. However, there was an unexpected delay (health issues) and they STILL have not been transplanted. I expect to plant them within a week. However, I am concerned about stunting. They are now between 6 and 10 inches high (the cherry varieties of course being smallest, and Emerald Evergreen is in the lead by a full inch), but have noticeably slowed in growth over the last month.

So, my question is... Once I transplant them into large containers, will they continue to be smaller than average? Have I permanently stunted their potential in both size and production? Or will they make up for lost time and shoot up once I transplant them?

I intended to train them up lines, 1-2 main stalks from each plant, trimming away suckers as they grow and adding support clips as needed. We are testing this method of growing this year and I am concerned that I may have substantially skewed the seasons production numbers with this delay.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't forget to loosen up rootbound (circling) roots before transplanting and then bury the plant deeper than it was in the small pot. Tomatoes will produce roots all along that buried stem, so you increase its root system that way.

xtgold
Cool Member

tomato plants grow like weeds,I got some for free mid july last year that were severely root bound and they did just fine.Some had green tomatoes on them already in 3 inch pots.
That was about 1.5 months past the traditional planting time here of memorial day weekend.
The nursery gives plants away at that time,of course the pickens are slim but I did get green zebra and marglobe.

MichaelC

I am also growing green zebra this year. My tomato supplier suggests potting up if the plants reach more than 12" tall and are a week or more away from planting. You should be fine. If there's any yellowing, give them some 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer.

RaresightFarms
Newly Registered

I intend to plant them deep so the first 3-4 inches of the stalk is in the dirt. They are getting full sun for 1/2 the day, then dappled shade the rest. Once they are planted they will be in full sun all day. Here's a photo of them now:
Attachments
FinalTomatoes.jpg

applestar
Mod

They will be fine. Only way I've managed to stunt them is by letting them get too cold -- low 40's down to high 30's at night and overcast no sun high 40's days for several (3-4 days). Or letting them get sun/wind burnt -- paying attention and taking extra care when hardening off is critical.

My position is that if you have to water them twice a day to keep from drying out, then it's time to uppot them if you can't plant them within 2-3 days.

I won't buy overgrown seedlings because I don't know how adequately they were cared for, and they are likely to be the most diseased and pest ridden of the bunch. But if you have been taking care of them yourself, then the seedlings in the tiny containers are like seeds -- once planted they will take off.... AFTER ABOUT 1 WEEK TO 10 DAYS TO ESTABLISH ROOTS.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

My first year I planted both severely rootbound transplants from Bonnie's and a 3" tall transplant that wasn't even hardened off. It proceeded to be in the 40's, and the soil was no more than 50. They both went on to produce well. It is very hard to stunt a tomato.

xtgold
Cool Member

I planted a bonnie's early girl today in a cement block with a milk bottle over it.The roots were poking thru the bottom of the peat pot so I ripped the bottom off.About 6 weeks early for this area.There were actually 2 plants in the same pot,the main plant and a small seedling next to it.I removed the seedling and put it in the house under lights.
If the big plant survives I may clone it.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Actually I do this on purpose to get the root system more developed, I have found it to my liking and I don't see any negative aspects of it. I plant them deeper each planting, around 2-3 plantings.

imafan26
Mod

I have stunted tomatoes and a few other things. You should be fine as long as you don't wait until they flower and show fruit before you plant them.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”