dallefeste
Newly Registered

Looking for Mexicola / Del Rio / Fantastic avocado seeds

Good evening everyone.
I am Matteo from Belluno (northeastern Italy).
I would like to plant an Avocado tree in my garden.
My climate zone is 8a/8b so the varieties I can plant are few because of the cold weather.
I have identified these varieties: "Mexicola", "Del Rio" (probably also called "Fantastic") which are supposed to have small but good fruits.
(the variety "Mexicola grande" seem to be different in temperature tollerance)
Would anyone in the forum in California have any way to get some seeds of this variety? Here in Europe it is hard to find.
Thank you very much and good gardening

applestar
Mod

Hi. I don’t know these avocado varieties and don’t know where to get them.

But in case you are not aware, avocado’s are usually cross pollenized (like apples) to bear fruit, so they don’t grow true from seeds.

So unless these are rare varieties that don’t need second compatible variety to bear fruit, you won’t be sure to get the characteristics you are looking for.

It also takes a good number of years for avocado to grow to fruit bearing age (and size).

I like growing the avocado seeds into plants. It’s not hard. But best serious way —which I was going to try but didn’t succeed, then haven’t had the chance to try again — is to grow seeds and then graft on the varieties you need …IF you can find source for them.

This is all assuming you have the growing environment needed — my reason for not going back to my project is I got to the point of having two varieties of avocado trees blooming, but couldn’t get them to set fruit after trying three winter blooming seasons in succession… then lost one of the varieties to disease during the summer.

I’m not trying again until I can figure out how to put together the growing environment to assure fruiting (but I’m still growing avocado seeds into plants :wink: )

Hornad
Newly Registered

You do not have to import them from america because there are hardy avocados in Switzerland growing along the shores of Lake Maggiore in the canton Ticino. I do not know how to get into contact with the person growing them, but here is a discussion about it.

imafan26
Mod

If you grow avocado from seed, they don't breed true and it will take at least 7 years to find out if they are any good. If you want a particular variety, you will have to find a grafted tree.

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”