TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Looking for celery seeds for a beginner

So yesterday as I was chopping up celery for my casserole, I began wondering how really difficult it is to grow celery. Haven't the slightest idea how and when to grow it. So I'm hoping someone has just a few seed I could play around with.
It would need to be an easy to do variety and preferably tolerate of both warm and really cold temperatures here in unpredictable Texas weather.

If you want to trade with me, I have several tomato seeds I want to get rid of to make room for new stuff. :lol:

ElizabethA
Cool Member

I wonder if you could plant organic celery seeds that come in spice containers?
My favorite use for celery seeds is using them in homemade coleslaw! :P

applestar
Mod

I don’t have any seeds that I’m confident about viability to offer, but fwiw, Tango, Ventura, and Redventure have all been pretty good growers for celery leaves and leaf celery in the past. — using them more like parsley with celery flavor.

However, I haven’t been able to grow celery reliably like the grocery store celery with juicy fat stalks. I’ll have to look back in my notes for the one I tried growing one year like the .... Irish? ... method of burying up the stalk for blanched, more tender stalks. It’s a bit difficult for me due to the annual summer drought. Celery seems to likes a lot of consistent moisture.

I currently have some growing in my winter indoor experiment — these are all the seeds I had left in spring that I mass sowed back then to see if “any of them would grow”. I haven’t sprung for next years re-stocking yet, though this is a good time to take advantage of end of year sales....

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I'm with Applestar - never been able to get celery to grow fat stems or even just grow vigorously. Even tried (& failed) rooting the stumps of grocery celery. I have had moderate success with 'cleleriac' - varieties grown as root veges - if I make sure to provide plenty of P & K but go easy on N. I do enjoy the milder flavor of celeriac root.

ElizabethA
Cool Member

I never tried growing celery, but would like to try it! It's so good in so many recipes and as a snack with peanut or almond butter!

imafan26
Mod

Celery is hard to grow. Impossible for me to grow in my climate. I do grow cutting or leaf celery. I can use it like celery for cooking for celery flavor. It has a stronger taste than celery. It cannot be eaten as celery sticks because of the strong bitter flavor. Celery though can be grown from the base from the grocer if you have a relatively fresh one with root "buds". I did get that to sprout new leaves, but it did not go further than that for me.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I have heard that celery is indeed difficult to grow. But when I eat store bought stuff it makes me really curious about how much better homegrown would taste. It wouldn't bother me to not get it as big and fat as that you buy in the store, just as long as it tastes good. I love celery in potato salad and in my broccoli and rice casserole. But eating it alone is kinda yucky. I was just really curious to try some myself. Just a few free to play with, that way I can add celery to my: 'Meh, tried it and it didn't do' list. 😆

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”