TexasT
Newly Registered

Suggestions for how to Get the Seed

I have some arugula and bok choy we are growing and it is flowering. I would like to get the seed from it but don't really know how. Here are pix of the flower. Wife thinks we can just wait for the flower to dry up and be able to collect the seed. I'm not sure and thought maybe someone might have some suggestions.
Attachments
WP_20190203_17_04_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20190203_17_04_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20190203_17_04_33_Pro.jpg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome Texas T!

Yeah, that's all you have to do, though you might have a fairly long wait, as I have known bok choy to get a flowering stalk to 5 or 6'. Also, if you have any other brassicas nearby that are flowering, they cross very easily, so if you aren't saving seeds from others, snip the seed heads, before the flowers appear. Can't help with arugula, but I'm sure somebody here knows about it.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, I don't like arugula so that "someone" will need to be "someone else."

;)

What I can add about the bok choy is that you may want to put a stake beside the plants and tie those you have for seed. You won't want them flopping over, with those seed pods down on the ground.

Another thing: pay attention to the natural drying of the pods as they mature. Something else that you don't want on the ground is your seed, scattered about. It may fall where it can't grow or where you are not wanting it to grow. Harvest and break open the mature pods in a bowl or on newspaper. Best of Luck. And, Welcome!!

Steve

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”