Voices30
Cool Member

Seeds...who needs em?

I do...
LOL my seed order didn't come in, the USPS dropped the ball. This was my main order for the spring, but now it looks as though I am stuck going to the "big box" stores and buying seeds. I had ordered all kinds of exotic (well exotic for me anyway) and I was so excited, only to find out that it didn't make it.

Any suggestions? I don't have any nurseries around me really, other than big box stores with substandard garbage, where I could get some "starts". There isn't a ton of demand in my area for veggie plants. I have time but not much, I wanted to be planting indoors. The only thing I got was my peanut seed.

imafan26
Mod

What kind of seeds are you looking for?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

So what happened, Voices, were those seeds stopped from getting to you because you live in FL? Seems the seeds co. should have had some things on those seed descriptions, like "we can not ship this to CA, FL, ...", which I see all the time, since those, and other agricultural states, are concerned about diseases that seeds, esp. exotic ones, may harbor, that could spread to their crops. One fellow gardener in FL, whom I offered to send some of my excess kafir lime leaves to, told me that it would be illegal, and, though it may get through, it probably wouldn't.

imafan26
Mod

From Hawaii it is hard to ship in and out of the state. No plants in dirt are allowed in or out. Certified nurseries can send potted plants. But most seeds and bare root plants can go out if they are taken to the inspection station at the airport and passed. Some things are not allowed period, they won't even bother to inspect some things, they will just say no. You need to bring all of your packing materials with you, you have to pack it in front of them before they will put the inspection stamp on it. Kaffir lime leaves, mangoes can be sent out but only if they are frozen solid or dried. Mangoes cannot have seeds, even frozen.

imafan26
Mod

From Hawaii it is hard to ship in and out of the state. No plants in dirt are allowed in or out. Certified nurseries can send potted plants. But most seeds and bare root plants can go out if they are taken to the inspection station at the airport and passed. Some things are not allowed period, they won't even bother to inspect some things, they will just say no. You need to bring all of your packing materials with you, you have to pack it in front of them before they will put the inspection stamp on it. Kaffir lime leaves, mangoes can be sent out but only if they are frozen solid or dried. Mangoes cannot have seeds, even frozen.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

I sent you a PM! :) :)

Voices30
Cool Member

Bah I'm sorry I posted the message, then forgot to come back and see what everyone said! The order apparently was never placed. I couldn't find the charge, and they don't have it. It was with Johny's Seed. But now I have elected to just buy some vegetable seed from a couple of the big-box stores in town. I live in a really small place, and there is one ace hardware. The grocery store sometimes has some seeds, and they do bags of compost/potting soil type thing every spring. The only nursery is the one at the hardware store, which I have never purchased anything from.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I don't remember exactly how far from the A.F. base is from you. My son lived in Crestview for a while (in the A.F.), and there was a nice nursery not far from him. Also, there was Lowe's, Wal-Mart, etc, plus there was a huge flea market area there that may have had some plants for sale, to. But, that's been a while.

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”