ChrisC_77

First Time Seed Saver

I am looking at saving some of the following seeds as I am new to deed saving and have never done it. Going to start with some easy ones.

Tenderette green beans. Sustainable Seeds lists them as an heirloom and Parkseed.com (where I got mine) lists them as a hybrid. I have also read before that all green beans are open pollinated and you can save seed. I have picked off all of my bean bushes this year and they are nearly done for. Even though I have plenty for next season, I was going to try and save some seed. Even though I have picked off my best bush, can I still leave the remaining pods on there?

Moon and Stars. Growing watermelons is new for me. I want to save seed from my best melon. Probably won't grow them but trade them on here. Want to grow something more compact next season. I also have muskmelon growing near by and sugar pumpkins. I don't see that as a problem with crossing I don't think.

That's all for now. Thanks for any tips.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings Chris, The beans and watermelons should both be fine. I left the bean and peas stand and dry last year in the greenhouse, the seeds are look the same and grow just as well as the ones planted. I planted the seeds from a watermelon we grew last year, the plants that have grown from those have melons on them that are growing larger each day. As far as the muskmelons and pumpkins, I don't think so , but it would be interesting, let us know.

Save them, plant them they'll do fine.

When I planted the watermelon seeds we saved, they didn't sprout, so I planted some Sugar babies on the same hill, then of course they sprouted. Now we have a mixture of melon types growing from the same hill. Have a great day.

Richard

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”