evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Yellow tomato seeds

Hi all

My mom got these yellow tomato seeds from Italy. I believe they are an heirloom variety but I don't remember the type name. Anyway they are beautiful yellow tomatoes with pink flesh exactly the colour of guavas.

I just cut up half a kilo for tomato jam and I kept some of the seeds. Would anyone like some?

gardeningwithe

They do look so pretty. Are they a sweeter or more tart type tomato?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I'll get some more and taste them. I realised after the jam that I never actually used any raw! I believe they taste good in salad as my mom's friends' B and B uses them in salads and apparently they are lovely. I'll let you know when she gets back with more for us :)

gardeningwithe

Yes, let me know!!

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

We ate some of these in salads and on sandwiches and they are very yummy. They taste more 'tomatoey' than normal red ones. What is the word for that? I really can't explain it. They are also very firm - fantasic for salad. On top of that they are beautiful. I just saw a thing on TV with Jamey Oliver making tomato salad with peach tomatoes like these. They would be fantastic in a mixed tomato salad.

They also last for a long time out of the fridge. My mom says they hang them in Italy, al la

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

They look very nice! I just rendered some seeds from gold tomatoes, smaller than ping pong balls. Anyway, looks like a good haul. Talk to you later.

Richard

applestar
Mod

I'm thinking this might be same or similar to variety calked "Yellow Out Red In"
https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Yellow_Out_Red_In

It's a very interesting looking tomato -- I love the colors -- and there are good write ups about this kind of variety. I'm hesitant because if same, it's a slow maturing variety and it may be difficult to grow in my garden. But I bet it would be a good fall-winter variety for longer growing season/milder winter areas. 8)

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Applestar yeah, I really don't think along those lines but you may be right. I'll ask my mom but it seems as if they produced a bit later than the red ones and they are still going!

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”