evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Peppadew seeds (Capsicum baccatum)

Hi all

I have lots of peppadew seeds that I just harvested. Anyone want a packet?

I'll send them for free to anywhere but I have only 10 stamps...

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

To give you an idea:

applestar
Mod

I love it! :D

I grew out some Peppadew seeds I received back in 2010 last year. Ended up with one healthy plant that bore green fruits just as frost was threatening. I brought the plant inside to overwinter and they continued to produce for a while/ripened through January. It's been pruned back to rest now, and hopefully it will resume growth near spring equinox and be out of the gate full speed with blossoms by the time it's warm enough to send it outside. 8)

So folks, it's a good variety to grow even in containers and bring inside for the winter. :D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

That is a very pretty pepper.
One very big question: Is it hot? How hot?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Oh yes I also had only green peppers when winter came last year but this year they are seriously coming in fast.

They are only slightly spicy but I think the whole thing about the seeds having the most fire is true. I just used my thumb to deseed a pile and now it's burning a little. They are often decribed as being piquant, which is accurate, especially pickled. I just made chutney, which I think turned out well.

Anyway, to answer they are only mildy warmish and can be very mild.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Sounds good, I can handle spicy, or piquant, I just can't handle... deadly, painful, yikes!

About half of the peppers that I grow are listed as mildly hot.

Okay, share the chutney recipe! ha ha

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I just sort of made it up so I will tweak it on the next batch. I'll measure weights next time too.

Peppadew Chutney

1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 green apple
30-40 peppadews
1 sweet red pepper
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 cup vegetable stock/water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt (if using stock with salt in then reduce this)
1 tablespoon maizena

Prepare your bottles.

Peel the apple, onion and garlic. Core the apple, peppadews and pepper (you could leaves seeds in but they make hard bits between your teeth). Brinoir all the vegetables or pulse in a food processor until fine.

Place in a non-aluminium pot or bowl with the salt and leave overnight to soak. To the pot add the vinegar, sugar, honey, lemon juice, stock (or water) and spices, Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced and the vegetables are soft. You are looking for chutney-level cooked so keep cooking if you have to and just add water if it gets dry.

When cooked mix the maizena with a little cold water and add. When the chutney is thickened and the maizena is cooked (about 3-4 minutes), take off the heat.

Bottle in sterilised bottles while hot.

Note: Please be mindful of what you're doing as I did this out of my head and the ratios may not be spot on.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I had no idea of what a chutney was, now I have an idea of what it is.

I guessed maizena to be corn meal, I looked it up and it is corn starch.

So based on this it is a spicy, sweet, side dish to serve with meals. It sounds really interesting.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I can't believe it! I thought everyone ate chutney. You are missing out. Wow.

Chutney is a staple here. I am guessing the Indian and Malay influence but it has spread to all cooking. Find a South African shop in your area and buy Mrs Balls chutney. You will never go back. Otherwise make this peppadew or tamarillo chutney.

Yes it is a side dish. I works well with all meat, vegetables etc. It is particularly good with curry.

By the way, you could make it like sweet chilli sauce, which is what the one in the shops is much like.

PS Yes, Maizena is cornstarch. I forgot to internationalise that.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I just ate far too much of this because it is delicious!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I just compared chutney to all the relishes, and sauces that I could think of, and it is totally a unique item.

There are not many ethnic stores in my area, I have seen them on television.

I think that it is really interesting the foods that are common and even "comfort" foods to many of us, and we assume everyone uses them. Then we find that others have no idea what they even are.
I figured we had something similar just named different... apparently not.

I like experimenting with foods, this forum introduced me to fried radishes... I haven't met anyone who has eaten them fried, except the folks in this forum who mentioned it. But they have an interesting flavor fried.

filmnet

Pepperdew are sold in stores in Mass anyway, hot or sweet, they are not hot at all. The worlds best small peppers a little hot and finish as sweet. There is a ton of recipes on there website, and I have seeds if anyone need some. Stuff cheese in them, really great

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

Do you still have any of them left? I'd really appreciate some of those! :)

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”