phonelady61

please use some sort of padding or cushion when mailing seed

well it happened again ...please send your seeds with some sort of cushion or padding I just got another envelope with dust for seeds ...they were labeled dragon beans and shishito peppers . the shishito peppers were infinite dust and the beans were in pieces ...not happy so please folks remember to use the padding . thanks .

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

That means Post Office ran them through rollers or gave the envelop to the gorilla. Sorry to hear that. Good luck next time.

Richard

applestar
Mod

I think sample envelopes (single layer) of flat seeds like tomatoes and peppers can manage sandwiched between paper towels, maybe a foam sheet or craft foam or felt sheet would work for a larger amount of flat seeds.

Alternating top and bottoms of envelopes and securing the seed envelopes or packets with tape to prevent shifting seems to work well for maintaining a thin overall layer.

But I think large amounts of even small seeds as well as bulky beans, corn, etc. seeds really need at least bubble lined envelopes or maybe cardboard CD/DVD mailers.

...perhaps this thread can be used to brainstorm best and least expensive padding and shipping methods for seeds? What do you think?

Also, I recently received an envelope of seeds marked "Please do not X-ray. Contains live seeds."

phonelady61

applestar wrote:I think sample envelopes (single layer) of flat seeds like tomatoes and peppers can manage sandwiched between paper towels, maybe a foam sheet or craft foam or felt sheet would work for a larger amount of flat seeds.

Alternating top and bottoms of envelopes and securing the seed envelopes or packets with tape to prevent shifting seems to work well for maintaining a thin overall layer.

But I think large amounts of even small seeds as well as bulky beans, corn, etc. seeds really need at least bubble lined envelopes or maybe cardboard CD/DVD mailers.

...perhaps this thread can be used to brainstorm best and least expensive padding and shipping methods for seeds? What do you think?

Also, I recently received an envelope of seeds marked "Please do not X-ray. Contains live seeds."
Yes I agree I think it would be great to get some brainstorming ideas I was in no way however trying to demean someone at all .I was just giving a tip so that others might know better how to pack seeds .

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I try to double wrap with the blue shop paper towels. I have yet to have it come back smashed. Or maybe the receivers just don't tell me about it.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Good post. What about bubble wrap?

LIcenter

You can get 3x6 manila self stick envelopes with bubble wrap already inside from just about anyplace that sells office supplies. Wallyworld and the like. Couple bucks for a twenty count. I use these to send many of my friends seeds with zero problems.

imafan26
Mod

Bubble wrap or if it is enough seeds just put it in a small box that will fit inside the mailing envelope. I get seeds sent to me in boxes and large mailing envelopes with minimal padding and they have arrived fine. I think the bigger envelopes are better for that than the letter size. Just try to make sure the envelope still fits inside the mailbox.

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”