Aida

tabasco, cayenne, california wonder, serrano, banana peppers

Hey everyone,
I'm a pretty novice gardener in Tampa Bay, FL. This will be my first time growing peppers, and I really wanted just a couple of pepper seeds to see which variety I like, and which grows well. I think they are really cute and fun.

I'm mostly interested in tabasco, cayenne, california wonder, serrano, and banana. I would only need 3-5 seeds of each, to have 1-2 plants.

If you have some of these saved, let me know, and how you would like me to pay you/how much. :)
I don't really have much to trade. Some sweet basil seeds and marigolds, I think a couple morning glory seeds. Nothing fancy or special though, just seeds I collected from my plants- whcih were planted with your common variety store-brought seeds. :oops:

imafan26
Mod

You can collect seeds from bell peppers from the grocery store. You don't need to get the red ones, you can look for green bells that are starting to blush.

Aida

Hmm, OK, I'll try that. However, I read once that lots of the veggies you get from the store have seeds which wouldn't produce fruit- because they are modified or often cloned vs. reproduced for more of the plant. I know this is true with most citruses you get, unless you go to a market.

imafan26
Mod

If you get a hybrid or things that are treated like some garlic (especially if it came from China) they either do not grow or will not be true to type. But a lot of the bell peppers are Calif. wonder and it is an old enough variety to be stable and consistant. Other good places to get seeds are from health food stores. Sprouting seeds are not just for sprouts.

However, while you can grow a mango, avocado or citrus from seed, you will wait a long time to get fruit and the qualityof fruit varies from tree to tree even within the same variety. That is why most mango, avocado, and citrus are grafted using a disease resistant rootstock and grafting scions from a tree that is known to have good fruit.

Things that have been hybridized a lot or are F1 hybrids will be the luck of the draw. Sometimes they are good sometimes not. Open pollinated heirlooms that are grown in isolation will grow true.

Aida

Thanks for the advice imafan, I did as you said and collected some seeds from a california wonder pepper from a store- hopefully it will work. :)

As for the other seeds, I purchased them from seedsnow.com. I got:
1x Eggplant - Florida Market
1x Eggplant - Casper
1x Pepper (HOT!) - Serrano Tampiqueno
1x Pepper (HOT!) - Tabasco
1x Pepper (SWEET) - Yellow (Banana Pepp er)
1x Pepper (HOT!) - Cayenne

So I guess this thread is no longer active.

I'm very excited about growing these, escpecially the white, casper eggplants-- they are so pretty! :-()

imafan26
Mod

White eggplant in general have a creamy sweet flesh but they are harder than purple varieties and are good for stewing. It also helps to peel those eggplants first since the whites usually have tougher skin.

Aida

imafan26 wrote:White eggplant in general have a creamy sweet flesh but they are harder than purple varieties and are good for stewing. It also helps to peel those eggplants first since the whites usually have tougher skin.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind when they grow. :)

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”